Playing "stick"

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by markc, Mar 15, 2004.

1. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    A while back a did a shoot of a friend of mine and her dog. I didn't care for how most of them came out, but I liked these. The last one is probably my favorite (she doesn't like it). I know I have to redo the burn-in on her face, though.

I was wondering what people thought. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    (Click on each for a larger view.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh number 3,number 3, number 3, number 3, number 3,!!!
    love that one! Here wind blown here and the dogs wild look are classic mate! As soon as I saw that i loved it. In all your pics the tones are awesome!

number 1 would work if she was wearing a lighter coloured sweater, the dog gets lost in that a big. So I merely like this one alot. ;)

number 2 I like as well, but just to be really nit picky, i would prefer to see some of her face, or at least at a similar angle as the doggies. I like the disturbed sand beneath the feet, so it bothers me just a tad to see her shoe heel cropped out.

Number 3 is a classic, I adore that shot - sort of a battle of wills frozen in time! To me there is nothing wrong with it, but everything is right with it! I love it!

ps, the dark edges really help the photos standout too.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! At first all I did was a level or curves adjustment, but now I've seen that dodging and burning can have a real impact on how a scene turns out. It's really helped to improve my final image.

Oh yeah. Thanks! That hadn't clicked for me. This is why I like having other people look at my work with a critical eye. It can be hard for me to see stuff like that when it's my own and I've spent hours staring at it on my monitor.

Heh. Yeah, those I did notice. I have way too many images that aren't quite there because I didn't noticing the crop. I like to get in tight to get rid of dead space, but sometimes I get a little too drastic when subjects are moving (or I am).

Cool. I was hoping that the reason she didn't like it was just because she didn't think it was the most flattering thing for her. Like you, I enjoy the story in it. I consider this one of my better shots because of that. It isn't just pretty.

Hehe. I cheat with that. I use a transparent layer that I resize and then copy/paste into every image to get that film edge look. When I print/matte/frame an image, I print some extra black around it then cut the matte so that what you see there is what shows of the picture. It's like double-matting with a second black matte underneath without the extra cost. It looks awesome with a white matte and a black frame.

4. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember #2 from your website. It was one of my favorite shots. I think a little face would have been better, but the image is excellent as it is.

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, Voo. Oh, and I forgot to mention: she's walking on giant stone blocks that make up the shore-line near the pier. The water is actually a few feet below the level of the rock, but the land leads right up to the top from this side.

6. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

I would have to agree with vonnagy in that 3 is the best of the group. The dog's dark fur and the lady's dark sweater makes for a really nice contrast against the lighter background in all three. It's like how you blurred out the background with DOF but you also did the same effect with the darker colors against a lighter background. There is definitely a better story in 3 which, for me, made me like it more but all three are really good.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Harper. The background was already light on the film, but I decided to dodge and burn all three a touch to give it that extra little bit of difference. I wasn't sure if I went too far. I think the dog's shadow could be a little bit darker.

8. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

See I love number 2.
    There's mystery in portraits shot from behind. These are great shots Mark!

9. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Wow, I love them all, but especially the first and third. The first one she just has an awesome expression on her face. That's the real subject for me. I saw a note from somone that the dog gets lost against the dark sweater a bit, and that's true, but in a way that just serves to bring the focus to her expression.

The third is a real winner. Wow, talk about a competition winner.