Playing w/lighting...portrait of daughter

blutiful

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please let me know what you think of this portrait. I have been trying to learn how to get the lighting right for portraits and then I play w/the backgrounds too much and by the time I'm done, i've been staring at it for hours and all I see are the flaws... What do you think?
katyoct2004.jpg

i love the look on her face but here are some thoughts...

she looks "cut out" and the background is obviously photoshopped. it doesnt look natural due to the dreaded PS halo around her. i would try using muslin cloths or other backdrops to create the effect you are going for.

md

Thanks and yes, I agree about the looking cut out. Since I am just beginning and have dropped a pretty penny on my camera, I feel bad hitting my husband up for backdrops. I've been using sheets *cringes in embarrasment* and then trying to create a backdrop in PS.

I appreciate your insight. Other than the halo? What are your thoughts on lighting of her face?

blutiful said:
Thanks and yes, I agree about the looking cut out. Since I am just beginning and have dropped a pretty penny on my camera, I feel bad hitting my husband up for backdrops. I've been using sheets *cringes in embarrasment* and then trying to create a backdrop in PS.

I appreciate your insight. Other than the halo? What are your thoughts on lighting of her face?

still doing good work though!!! dont count yourself out!

heres what i would do.

1) set up lights to the left and right of her so it wont be shining directly into her face.
2) it looks like there is a little bit of red eye in her eyes...are you using the on camera flash of the 828? if so, dont. red eye everytime. invest in an off camera flash for portrature.

thats about all i would change!

md

darn it - forgot to remove the red-eye in PS. Thats what you get for fiddling on the computer when it's way past your bedtime.

Yes, I am using the onboard flash, but with the red eye reduction on ...does that really work? apparently not. :oops:

I still have a lot to learn, but it's fun trying :lol:

Thanks for your advise.

blutiful said:
darn it - forgot to remove the red-eye in PS. Thats what you get for fiddling on the computer when it's way past your bedtime.

Yes, I am using the onboard flash, but with the red eye reduction on ...does that really work? apparently not. :oops:

I still have a lot to learn, but it's fun trying :lol:

Thanks for your advise.

it takes alot to get rid of red eye with an on camera flash...

i would invest in a flash bracket.i had one and it got rid of red eye..plus it gave you creative wys to bounce flash off the cieling and walls.

but if you are wanting to really do some good portraits..invest in a cheap light setup.

md

All I'd say is: Watch out with Photoshop; its a powerful tool, but you still have to care more about shooting the picture than editing it.

And don't cut out unless you're using a key! :wink:

I really wouldnt use it much, except for the fact I dont have any backdrops at the moment and am using it for that. And, it's actually not even photo shop, its paintshop pro :oops:

I need to start saving my pennies so I can get all the little accessories I want/need :) hmmm, lets see, how can I justify to my husband that these are needs and not wants? :lol:

I actually dont mind PSP, although I have never used anything else. I just think, from what I see here, we PSP users are in the minority.

I took about 20 different shots of her yesterday, all different degrees of facial expressions, including frustration 'mom, are we done yet' This happened to be in the front so was the first one I worked on last night.

I agree with MD. Great first effort though!

I too spent a ton on camera gear and couldn't ask the hubby to spend more. :oops: Your back drops don't need to be fancy. Flannel sheets work the best. Just make sure they aren't wrinkled up and put them well behind your subject. If you have a few bucks to spare. A trip to your local fabric store will get you some backdrops cheap. Plain white muslin for a white one and and extra one to dye whatever color you want. A few well placed streaks with spray paint works well. No one will be able to tell the difference. Try shooting in front of an open window. Sunlight will give a nice look without the red eye. Good luck!

I agree about the backdrops and whatnot. I'll chime in regarding flash as well. What holds this portrait back is that the flash is too square-on straight. That comes from the on-board flash. By lighting it from one side or the other, you'll create some shadowplay across the face, which will give it more depth. The focus is good and crisp and the color looks 'bout right, which is good. :D Just keep shooting and practicing!! :D

Thanks, goddess and shark :)

I put the bug in my hubbies ear about backdrops. Good hint on the flannel sheet and I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the fabric store this weekend.

I have tried to rig lights according to some tips I saw on one of the many photo sites I go to. I have 100 watt lights off to the sides and focused away from the subject, pointed at pieces of white poster board that reflect back on her. It still seemed a little dark so I used the onboard flash. I will have to try a few w/o the flash and maybe open (?) the aperture a little more to let more light in???

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise. This is exactly what I'm looking for :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back