zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The purple one came out very well. No blown out parts in it which is the tough part with flash.

Very nice! I also used an incense stick when I did this a while back. I want to do it again just someplace that isn't as tight as the little bathroom I was using at the time.

Sent from my SM-N915T using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Thank you.
Yes a bathroom would be tight. I was using my 70-200 so a bathroom would have been a little to tight. In these I was standing about 5'away.

Thank you.
They a bit of fun and not hard to do at all.
One light from the side. Enough ambient light to focus. Wave the hand to make the smoke more interesting and shoot.
Post was adjusting white and blacks to get the most contrast and detail then pick a hue. Pretty much that easy.

If a person does not have access to a barn doors set, they can use a couple of sheets of cardboard, or a cardboard box with a slit cut in it, to allow that shaft of light to come through, and to keep spill light from flaring the lens or hitting other parts of the set. Luckily--you DID buy a flash that has a 4-way barn door accessory! The box with the slit cut in it solves the need for two grip arms and two light stands, or two clamps, two stands, etc..

Cool shots. I hope you really enjoy the journey of studio flash techniques, both you and zombiesniperjr!!! A great father and son endeavor, for sure.

And do NOT forget the styrofoam ice chest as small softbox or "square Japanese lantern" or "glow box". And NO, I am NOT kidding you. You can make a lantern modifier with the styro ice chest and a steak knife in about 30 seconds. AS-is, it is a "glow box" which will illuminate from ALL sides, like behind a couch, for example. If the outside has some black paper taped or pinned to it, the light goes forward. $2.49 for a 27 x 14 x 12 softbox in the summertime.

Most reactions

Back