Playing with filters and portraits of my dog

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Garbz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you see why this didn't go in the people and pets forum :)

Was just playing today and couldn't be bothered calling up or going out to someone to play model, so I grabbed the first available model that couldn't complain, Snoopy.

Photographed with a +1 CTO gel on an off camera strobe set to 1/2 power. On camera flash set to 1/8th and not corrected to give a blue fill. ISO100 1/250th f/20 Colour Temp 3675K:

[​IMG]

Yes it has many flaws, but if you saw how ghetto the setup in question was you'd realise I wasn't taking pictures that I was planning to show anyone :wink: this was a fluke.

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh dear, your explanation of the making-of of this photo shows me how awfully much I will need to learn by the time I'll have scraped together enough money to get me the flash I want to buy - and how little I actually know about proper flash and camera settings when I am to use flash then :roll: --- boy, that will be yet another "study of (flash) photography" ... for right now none of these things you are describing really mean anything to me :oops:

But I like your subject!
    (I like Snoopy, short and sweet!)

And I like how you took a photo against the sun, using the sun, but sort of blocking out its full power at the same time. I think that, while it might take me a couple more months before I can get myself the flash I want to have, it'll take me another YEAR from there before I can achieve such results as this (but I already know the dog that I would use, ha! :D)

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks it's actually reasonably easy when you plan the shot out beforehand. I knew I wanted to bring down the sun and the landscapes so I set my shutter as fast as I could sync it with the flash, and bumped the aperture up to f/16. Started with the flash on quarter power, and then took pictures, pushed buttons, and twiddled knobs till it was just right.

I was actually testing something I found on a website linked to by a website linked from the basic forum yesterday. Rather than just shooting in daylight with a normal flash, put a colour correction gel on it to make it tungsten coloured and then play with the white balance. I can't wait to actually try this properly.