Playing with lighting- Portrait- You Like? No? Oh...

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:mrgreen:
I figured it would maybe get a few more clicks that way....:lol:

Anyways, I got home and decided I would try out my Wescott TD5 Spiderlite.
So with no model to practice with, I, wearing my favorite hoodie, jumped in front. (Cameras creep me, I wont look at them)...

So my goal was to play with shadows. I wanted the light to be kind of dramatic, although I was only working with one so dramatic might be a bit overstated. Any opinions on things that went right/wrong, or ways to change the light up to look better?

757656950_WPn6W-XL.jpg

:confused:Thanks in advance for posting

Last edited:
Can't offer you much (any?) advise on how to improve, but I think for dramatic lighting #2 fits the bill. The reflections in your eyes in #1 are somewhat distracting, almost looks like you had white pupils. You did a good job getting a nice clean black background on all 3 of them.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, with #1, those catchlights are pretty intense. I was standing about 2ft away from the light source which is 43x30 so it's a decent size :lol:

This is well lit, good focus, etc but is a 'I'm staring into the void, being cool' kind of shot.
Get some eye contact either with the lens or with something.
That's what makes a great portrait- a connection of some sort.

This is well lit, good focus, etc but is a 'I'm staring into the void, being cool' kind of shot.
Get some eye contact either with the lens or with something.
That's what makes a great portrait- a connection of some sort.
Thank you, and I fully agree.
I really don't like my photos to be taken, BUT I like taking photos more, so when those two collide, this is what I get. I will find a better subject, maybe I can convince the wife.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back