Playing with Portraits. c&c needed.

cailinp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my friend out to try and practice taking pictures of people instead of just objects. I don't know what to think. It's much harder than I thought. Heres a few that I got.

DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

i think it's a great first try.

In #1 you cropped her a bit too closely. Sometimes it pays to be farther away and crop in later during pp.

#2 might have benefited from a faster shutter speed.

All in all they are good, I would try shooting in aperature mode to blurr out the background and make her stand out even more.

#1 I would shoot with her on the left so she has somewhere to look.
#2 A little too blown out on her face, otherwise just the blur, nice composition and expression.
#3 Too much detail in the background.

Allan

Man

She has really nice teeth..

Agree 100% with Allan. I like the pics but they have minor shortcomings.

#1: So she's holding a flower, but it's cut off. Pay attention to details. I think #s 1&3 have way too much contrast, judging from the second photo in color she isn't as stark white as they make her. So there is too much contrast or if you used flash, it's blowing her skin. In the first B&W it's also kind of yellowish.
#2: The lighting isn't working, really harsh highlights on her face. Lower right hand corner is distracting, crop it out, but I like the yellow thingies in the background.
#3: Would be my favorite one probably because of her glasses, I want them. I like how you can see the gradient in the lens. The background is kind of distracting. And, remember in b&w you want to try and get all tonalities: black, white, and gray. And in black you want some details, same with white. :) did you use a flash? I think her face is blown.

Wow! Thanks guys. I have a lot to work on! I really appreciate the c&c. I'm here to learn as much as I can!

#1 I like the starkness of the back ground and her facial expression. They work with the b&w. I agree with the prior comments though, she needs to be to the left of the image and not have the right side cut off. Otherwise, nice job.

Most reactions

Back