Playing with rented 80-200 f2.8 C&C

supraman215

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was fun. It cost me like $60 but it was worth it. It's a great lens crystal clear down to f2.8. I know I probably should have come off 2.8 a little but I didn't I really wanted to the shutter speed because without the VR it was hard for me to hold it still enough. It was a fun experiment and I plan to rent more lenses in the future! Here's my best shot of my daughter.

It was taken out front of my house at about 7:30pm in front of a big tree. Originally I was going to use our house as a background but it's a light color and I thought it would distract from the subject. I used my LP160 strobe zip-tied to the end of a 4' level, with a little 4" softbox on it, at 1/8 or 1/16 power, can't remember. The 4' level was resting on my hip at about a 45 degree angle camera left.

1/125 shutter, f2.8 iso 400, 120mm focal length, 180mm 35mm equiv.

DSC_0084-1.jpg

You know if you're using flash you don't need VR. It freezes the motion so you don't have to shoot at 2.8. If you were only using natural light I see why but flash you're fine. GL

TJ

The AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D is one of my favorite lenses for portraiture.

If you think it was nicely sharp at f/2.8, it is even sharper at f/5.6 to f/16.

I suppose I could have gone past ISO 400 to get that aperture. I still have it for this afternoon so maybe I'll give it a try. For some reason my pics came out kind of grainy. I had to up the noise reduction in PP. Perhaps that's because the might have been a little underexposed?

Unless youre running with the lens, you should be able to go to about 1/125 or slower with the lens if you have the flash on. I have no problems shooting this way with my Sigma 105mm macro when shooting in darkness and using it as a short telephoto lens. Try it out. The flash really does help a lot. You could bring your ISO down to 200 probably also and bring the flash to about 1/4 power. Try out everything, even if you dont think it will work. Its worth a shot while you have the lens, right? :wink:

Mark

I like this picture alot. Very good color. I like your creative use of flash too.

This is a very nice image. Glass like that is addicting. I have a 70-200 and am always looking for a reason to shoot with it.

I have some more pics that I took at around f4.5 it really is super sharp as you start closing the aperture. I'll be posting them soon. I'd love to own it or the 70-200

Most reactions

Back