playtime on bed

lilangelstarz7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am kinda new. I am still learning how to use my camera and this is just experimenting. I turned the flash off (I'm trying really hard not to use it because it makes my pics look harsh, to me anyway). But now I think they look grainy and not sharp. I did some PS on them though obviously. How can I have better no flash photography w/out a tripod? Is it possible? I tend to move around and jump around a lot when i take pictures.

1bwsm.jpg

2sm-2.jpg

3sm-2.jpg

6sm-1.jpg

7sm-2.jpg

8sm-1.jpg

9sm-1.jpg

11newsm.jpg

Your have a lovely family. I like these images. There is one or two that could have better compositions. But the hi-key, softer-focus approach is becoming quite the norm here lately. I like it.

thanks, actually its not my fam, but my friend and her kids ;) i don't have any formal training on posing, and i didnt ask them to do anything actually, they were just playing on the bed and i snapped away. i think of myself as just really candid.

Picture #1 and #2, I am a nonphotoshop useing kind of guy but man you got to do something with those eyes! On the baby its mouth in the corners is too dark looks like fangs and the eyes look black as night. I don't know if you can do anything about it but I would try. The same with the second one.

I love and I mean love #1 I think it is by far the best. I would have a post size one of that one made up and hang it on the wall. I think # 8 is priceless also.

Over all I think they're really nice. The composition is great!

It can be really, REALLY tough to photograph babies and young kids. I think you did a great job with these. They look plenty sharp to me. Number 8 is a real keeper!

~jen

I am not seeing any grain and sharp focus especially in portraiture is overrated. It is a bad idea to crit 8 images at a time but... 1-3 seem original and fun. 4-8 fall into the "yeah the kids are cute, but nothing special" category. Big up on the shots because I am sure photographing families and especially small children is a lot of work. Keep in mind that kids, puppy dogs and beautiful women (arguably) fall into a place where their mere presence is going to make a good photo. Our job is to bring a piece of our self to the shot. The end result needs to have your signature. That journey will never end and always need development.

Better no flash photography can include everything from window light to bouncing light from table lamps to $6,000 worth of tungsten lights. Sounds like the immediate answer is to just set your flash on rear or slow (most cameras have the option) this will mix ambient life with flash. Again hard to help with so few details. Let us know every single detail and we be able to help further.

I' have moved this post to the People and Pets Gallery. The Photo Critique section is reserved for more serious critique and therefore we like to keep it to one image at a time...(see FAQS) otherwise, it just gets too confusing.

Feel free to post multiple images in other parts of the forum...or to re-post your images individually into the critique section, with a bit of an explanation of the shot and what you were try to show.

Thank you.

I really really like these.. I tried to get some pictures in my room of my nephews and it just didnt work out like yours. Good work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back