Please advise

RtS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I made a "soft box" tonight, if I can call it that. Basically it was some posterboard stood up to form a box on 5 sides, and a white trash bag for the last side. I was using two 500 watt halogen bulbs for a source. Pretty ghetto I realize, but I got better results than I have before in a "studio/product" setting. This image isnt very exciting, but I was hoping to get some comments so I can improve either my box setup, or my brain setup. Thanks. I was shooting with a D70 at 50mm and f/16.

old-ball2.jpg

Maybe tomorrow:) I was trying to get my setup working before I start going crazy. Would you be satisfied with these results from my setup (as a starting place anyway)?

I did discover that diffusing the light through a surface (in my case a trash bag) made a BIG difference. I might try a sheet next time and see what happens. Thanks again.

The exposure looks good, detail without harsh highlights or shadows. Did you do a custom white balance after you set your lights up? It looks like your color balance is off just a hair... even considering that that is one dirty ball. :D

You have the right idea with the softbox. The more you play with it, the more you will see the benifits of using one, not only on objects like the baseball but also on people, animals and other objects.

Mike

I like the idea of dirt Jon mentioned...that would really help give it more atmosphere. The setup looks fine IMO, but if you continue to use a white background, you might try and add a black frame around it, this way it will be easier to see the edges of the picture b/c it seems to lose it's effect posted by itself. You might also try moving your lights around to cast different shadows and see what you arrive at....looks like you're on the right track though :)

As a request/suggestion from JonMikal, here is some dirt! The nice thing about a studio shot is I can reshoot infinitely, so please, rip this apart so I can improve upon this technique. The dirt plays nicely upon the dirty ball, good thought...although I am not sure I have captured it yet for its full potential. Anyone with different dirt arranging or cropping thoughts?

Exposure data: D70 - 50mm, f/16, 1/50, spot metering, iso 200

dirt-ball.jpg

I'd say more dirt...brown dirt so that it looks more like a ball field :) But I like the arrangment that you've got going here. Another idea might to be to throw a ball glove in the background to really add more feel...I like how this is shapin up though :)

BTW Amanda, do you like your black border? :D Thanks for the ideas!

:lol: Yes, much better :) It's a lot easier to differintiate between the photo and the background now :)

Most reactions

Back