Please C&C, Shots at Bodega Bay, CA

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by jwhphoto, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jwhphoto

jwhphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here are a few shots i took a couple weeks ago. Please let me know what you think.
    1.[​IMG]
    not really anything exciting, but there were some people with dogs on the beach and this is a shot I liked.

2.[​IMG]
    This one i wanted to show the "power of the ocean".
    3.[​IMG]
    This one i like a lot. With the slower shutter speed i had the "blast" blured, but the water moving in front is still clear.
    4.[​IMG]
    This was my favorite. I know the right side of the building is overexposed, however this was the only chance I had to shoot it. Also, i was not able to actually get on the lot, I had to shoot it looking through a space in a fence.

Please let me know what you think. Im an amature just getting started so I have lots to learn.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:

1. A nice enough capture, however really only likely to appeal to the owner or someone especially into that breed. Good composition; you have the dog looking into the frame, and you've got the right elements sharp. It's slightly under-exposed, but nothing that some work with levels and curves wouldn't cure.

2, 3. Nicely done, in particular, the effect in #3 is timed perfectly. Both images are under-exposed and slightly desaturated.

4. Nice subject, as mentioned, the exposure isn't ideal, but there are times when a less than perfect image is better than no image. I would take this one back to the pixel room and try and brighten the front face of the structure a little; that will bring out more detail and reduce the contrast between the blown wall on the right.

Overall, some nice work. You've got an eye for composition, but your first three images are all under-exposed, leading me to wonder if perhaps you aren't metering correctly, or don't have your camera's meter set up in the optimum manner.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. jwhphoto

jwhphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I probably don't have the meter set up right. I Have never taken a class in photography and I just started trying stuff when I bought my camera a month ago. I'll try and find some information on setting up my metering in the camera.

Thanks

4. jwhphoto

jwhphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is 4 again with more PP. This better?

[​IMG]

5. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like em. The dog pic is well... dog pic!! :)
    #3 is fantastic action shot, and I like the last one except the side is way too bright. I see your edit above, but I personally prefer the original, but with the side wall
    darker so it can be seen.