Please C & C

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm trying really hard to improve at this photography business. I've been reading every book I can get my hand on and taking pictures everyday. I've been trying not to bombard all of you with my pictures each day, but the only responses I ever get if I don't post them here is.."honey those pictures are real nice" as he is half watching the hockey game.

I have some friends who want me to take pictures of their kids and I really want the practice so I'm doing it for free, but I want to know if there will come a day when I can say, "Ok, I'm good enough now to start asking for compensation". Will I know when that day comes?? How did YOU know?

Thank you for your input.

IMG_5432.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5460.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5507.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5537.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh, pardon the dirty, nasty clothes. This was a completely unplanned photo shoot with my husband and kids when we went for a walk the other day.

I also am an amateur with lofty aspirations. I like 3 and 4 ... In my opinion 3 could be better if cropped tighter and 4 if it were shot at a different angle. One that put the tree to the side instead of on her head. They do look good.

As I always say in any thread like this, I'm NOT qualified to provide critique, but, when I see an image that I like, there's nothing wrong with me letting you know so :)

My favorites are 1 and 2 by far, especially #1... to me, you just nailed that one... it reminds me of some sort of advertisement or something to that effect. Only thing I'de like to see done to that image is make it a tad bit sharper, but, that's just me, and my taste only. I have a bad habit of making my images TOO sharp :) So, take that with a grain of salt indeed.

As far as the compensation thing goes, I like you, don't charge anyone anything at anytime, as I don't feel that I'm good enough for that just yet, but, trying to get there. Will you know when that happens? I have NO idea, and wish I did.

Anyway, keep at it, and keep shooting, as I like what I see here. I try to get out and take pictures every day, literally, as you never know when you'll get that perfect shot :)

I also am an amateur with lofty aspirations. I like 3 and 4 ... In my opinion 3 could be better if cropped tighter and 4 if it were shot at a different angle. One that put the tree to the side instead of on her head. They do look good.

Thanks, does this look better?

IMG_55071.jpg
[/IMG]

And thanks for the input about the tree. I actually shot this one from lots of angles. Here's another, but I didn't like the shadows under her eyes. What do you think?

IMG_5531.jpg
[/IMG]

As I always say in any thread like this, I'm NOT qualified to provide critique, but, when I see an image that I like, there's nothing wrong with me letting you know so :)

My favorites are 1 and 2 by far, especially #1... to me, you just nailed that one... it reminds me of some sort of advertisement or something to that effect. Only thing I'de like to see done to that image is make it a tad bit sharper, but, that's just me, and my taste only. I have a bad habit of making my images TOO sharp :) So, take that with a grain of salt indeed.

As far as the compensation thing goes, I like you, don't charge anyone anything at anytime, as I don't feel that I'm good enough for that just yet, but, trying to get there. Will you know when that happens? I have NO idea, and wish I did.

Anyway, keep at it, and keep shooting, as I like what I see here. I try to get out and take pictures every day, literally, as you never know when you'll get that perfect shot :)

I think you were right about the sharpening on #1. It looks much better! Thanks so much for you input.

EMDad2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
On the first two I'd lose the harsh red background next time and look for something a bit more pleasing to the eye and less distracting from the subjects.

With the crop you did of #3, I think it would be better if you cropped at the top of the board right above her head, and that the top of that really distracting black area at the bottom of the photo. This would give you a nice frame to your subject.

With the fourth shot, I agree with what someone else said about the tree. Its a cute shot though and since you have enough foreground in the photo I think you could fix it simply by cropping just above her head where that bit of green plant begins. It rids the shot of the tree yet still allows for a bit of room above her head.

One last thing - watch your focus, it seems a bit off [on my monitor anyway] remember to focus on the eyes. I know, its hard with kids though to get them to stay still.;)

On the first two I'd lose the harsh red background next time and look for something a bit more pleasing to the eye and less distracting from the subjects.

With the crop you did of #3, I think it would be better if you cropped at the top of the board right above her head, and that the top of that really distracting black area at the bottom of the photo. This would give you a nice frame to your subject.

With the fourth shot, I agree with what someone else said about the tree. Its a cute shot though and since you have enough foreground in the photo I think you could fix it simply by cropping just above her head where that bit of green plant begins. It rids the shot of the tree yet still allows for a bit of room above her head.

One last thing - watch your focus, it seems a bit off [on my monitor anyway] remember to focus on the eyes. I know, its hard with kids though to get them to stay still.;)

Thanks for your input. I LOVE that red wall. It is actually an old caboose and I've never been able to shoot pictures in front of it because the sun shines directly on that side for most of the day and the other three sides are ugly. We just happened to be there on a foggy day so I was able to shoot in front of it without the harsh sunlight. Anyway, I guess I can see how some would find it to be too much.

Thanks also for your input about cropping even closer with pic #3. I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on my pictures. All of your input is very valuable to me.

Thanks, does this look better?

IMG_55071.jpg
[/IMG]

And thanks for the input about the tree. I actually shot this one from lots of angles. Here's another, but I didn't like the shadows under her eyes. What do you think?

IMG_5531.jpg
[/IMG]
What a darling little girl, she is very photogenic, Im not concerned about the dirty jeans, to me they add a feeling of care free youth, try to pay attention to the background more, the moonshine still is a little distracting!;) Try using the sponge tool on the hair clips, lips and those rosy cheeks to saturate them and get a little pop.
I feel that this one has so much going for it that the eye shadows can be forgiven.

Hi, no the word that enough for a photographer. You must dissatisfied in a picture that you take , and you must make more better. The social around you will tell you knows by yourself that or not yet are you have fully for photography business already ? For a picture that you posts , I think if , you enhance the reflective light in the eyes of the small children , a picture will see bright and lively more and more. And a picture is before last , do not be supposed to the tree which go up or grow on the head of your model.

lovedigital.
lovedigital.blogspot | digital photo | photo | make money online |

Most reactions

Back