please CC on my photo of the day

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Abby Rose, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Abby Rose

Abby Rose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is my first CC request. :)

I'm doing a 365 project, in hopes that practice will make me better at photography. This is todays picture. Not my best, perhaps, but I would love to know what you guys would have done to make it better, had you taken the picture! Or would it not be something you would have thought worth shooting all at?

[​IMG]

This is a rose and some white carnations in a wine bottle, and I took a picture. I increased the contrast, color, and warmth, all to try and bring out the rose, and clicked something called "adjustable threshold" (this is all done on Picnik :) ) which seemed to tone down the carnation in the background. Added a vignette, also.

Taken with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC H50. I don't remember the exact settings, I'm sorry, but I did use the macro button with a tiny bit of zoom, and the smallest number aperture value (would that be a large value setting or small?). The shutter speed was around 10, though I don't know 10 whats. It was not seconds, I can tell you that much.

So, please let this noob know how bad or good it is.

2. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    My impression is that it is way over processed.

3. JayLPhoto

JayLPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd like to see deeper black in the background and not so washed out on the left of the rose.

4. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know if I should turn my head to get the frame right. I have no clue what is up and what is down.

I'm sorry but it looks a bit "messed up" and way over-processed.

I think it would have helped to show more of the flower itself like the stem or parts of the bottle which is holding the flower.

I can imagine that it's also quite tricky to get the exposure right with the dark red rose and the bright flower right next to each other. I'd stick with one or the other.

5. Abby Rose

Abby Rose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies. :) So this isn't something really worth photographing like this again, then? But perhaps with better light, moving the white flower out of the way, and a different angle it would be ok?

6. suki

suki TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually like the way it's processed. It gives it sort of a vintage feel to it. the only thing that I would change is the crop. I wouldn't crop so close to the rose on the right side because the vignetting is cutting into the rose too much.

7. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YES, then you would have the perfect image :)

It's not just really a matter of doing this and that. My suggestions are merely ideas to inspire your next approach when doing something like this.

You can have one single object over white background and it can drive you nuts just because you can't get the angle right.

It's a matter of experience and developing your own style - in short: it takes time and patience...

8. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

hello Abby. is it possible to post the shot straight out the Sony? this image is really worked-up, it's hard to judge the camera-operator part of the process. there's creativity in the picture and i like the subject and the composition. being able to see the image data would be useful.

9. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

worth a try. more light would give you more options at the editing stage.

10. Abby Rose

Abby Rose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

hee hee, all I'd have to do it change nearly everything about it. Yup. :lol:

Ah, I actually did this yesterday... My idea was to have a drop of honey coming out of the jar. It was my first attempt with an actual background. I used a high tech sheet of computer paper. But anyway, I ended up not being able to get the drop in focus or the exposure on the jar right. I just wasted a lot of honey and gave myself a cramp in my arm... :roll:

Thanks again.

11. Abby Rose

Abby Rose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    shoot, no. Just now when I went to get it I realize that I made a mistake while saving it, and accidently replaced the original instead of saving it as version "B". Sighh. Not a lot of help, am I? Should have made sure of that before asking for CC... I'm sorry.

12. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is all your info as well.
    Camera Maker: SONY
    Camera Model: DSC-H50
    Image Date: 2010:02:17 16:30:08
    Focal Length: 11.9mm
    Aperture: f/3.2
    Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
    ISO equiv: 100