Please comment on these newbie photos

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm interested in any and all comments and criticisms - composition, exposure, color, whatever. Let 'er rip.

Jon

2599450712_364a7da6d4.jpg

2599453404_8947ae6f7e.jpg

Exposure is fine on both images, but the composition seems a little lacking; nothing concrete I can put my finger on, I guess just a lack of something. I think #1 would have benefitted from a little more of the building to the left showing. As well the boardwalk tends to take the eye right across the bottom of the image and out, always try and use lines like this to lead to the middle of the image. #2 woud be helped by the removal of the rental sign in the middle of the image.

Thanks for the comments, Tirediron.

I agree with the building being chopped off, but it was a whole string of similar buildings so something had to be chopped.

As for the rental sign, I thought it added a bit of interest rather than being a distraction.

Anyone else?

I'm entirely happy with the composition of the first shot. The dark weight and size of the leftmost buildings give good balance to the details, interest and colour of the right side of the shot - no problem there. The line of lighter upright posts is a good counterpoint to the flat masses and horizontal elements above. You have a well placed eyecatcher in the window with the red reflection, and a secondary one in the gull. The shot works quite well for me, though the flat sky lets it down a bit. But that's what you had. Some will say the pole that exits the top of the frame should go, but not me :)

The second shot lacks organisation and focus for me - it's full of too much. One of the window boxes and some adjacent wall and window might have been enough.

Regards, Tony

Thanks, Tony. You raise some interesting observations.

Here's another try at the flowers:

2600351913_6720cb56c3.jpg

I would have liked to see more of the sign

Most reactions

New Topics

Back