Please Criteque

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by seamus14, Jul 11, 2008.

1. seamus14

seamus14 TPF Noob!

I took this last night but I'd like to re-shoot it as I know there are some problems with it. Fire away so I get it right next time.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    the flag being blocked by the pole is something i'd try to change....

you may want to try getting lower and closer and shoot the pole upwards to add some perspective...

3. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Umm... I'm not sure where to start. What were you going for when you took the shot?

It appears to be largely under-exposed, with the colors somewhat dull. You've also got a crooked horizon - not the end of the world, but worth fixing when you reshoot.

More than anything, you've got to alter the composition. You've got a largely empty frame that's cut in half by an overwhelming vertical line. There's no "flow" or "rhythm." I'm assuming you want the flag as the focal point, but with the direction of the wind it's largely obscured. The base is actually much more imposing on the eye...

I'd play with your angle and focal length. Adjust your exposure... And then experiment a lot. See what works. Take a shot and then step back and look at it. Where does your eye go? Where is the focus and where do you want it? What distracts from your intention?

***Note, I'm on an uncalibrated monitor. So, take some of it with a grain of salt.***

4. seamus14

seamus14 TPF Noob!

I was actually laying on the ground and not that far away. I tried it closer but I would not have the trees. I'll try is closer next time but lower would be impossible. Thanks for the tips.

5. seamus14

seamus14 TPF Noob!

I have a question about the crooked horizon. It's on the side of a mountain so how do I set the horizon staight withought the pole being on an angel?

I get what you're saying about the composition. Thanks

6. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In that case, I'd try to put the shot into that context. Include enough of the foreground to put the shot in context...