please critique a tfp fashion shoot....

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i did this last saturday. of them, which 2 would you choose for a portfolio and why?
thanks in advance for all input... (and feel free to be picky as possible)
-t

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Oh I hate to be picky but the last one is the only one I like. Her expression in that one is pretty good. The others just don't look appealing and there was a lot of shine around her nose on the next to last one. The first one...well, the breast that is almost exposed doesn't look right with the angle of the fabric on the other side. That one would have been good if the two sides matched a bit more on the fabric.

I like the background in number 2, i guess if i had to choose - the last one because it has a bit of an expression.... to be honest it depends on what kind of portfolio you're using it for....

IMHO she doesn't look like she's having any fun....she looks almost sad.....

Let me leave the pickings to the pros.

Couple of questions for education:
What kind of lighting did you use?
Did you use a reflector?
Did the images go thru PS?

Thanks.

I like the first one best, but the knees are blown out a bit. They also all look a little washed out somehow. Like they could use a saturation boost. Most of the problems are minor though--shine on the face, motion blur on that one hand, low-to-high camera angle isn't that flattering in some of them, etc.

What the hell, still better than mine (and you're getting models, which is more than I can say for me!). ;) :thumbsup:

I'm not good at picking on shots like this...don't know exactly how to critique...but I do know that the expressions do bother me a bit.

For some reason - these photos scream 'dirty'... (as in mud)... I think it could have something to do with the hair and maybe the tone of the skin...

The first is the only that doesnt have the dirty feel to it...

If I were to chose any - i would say the first... only because it doesnt look dirty...

get a (better?) makeup artist.

And some light reflectors. It would really help to lighten up her face, and especially put some twinkle in her eyes. I really don't like the choice of the yellow (unironed?) shirt that is sort of see through.

I definately like her smile more than her frown/scowl/smirky expressions, and she really should show some teeth. Try some headshots and maybe a more studio environment. And on the subject of makeup, her hair is way too wild. A really sleek pulled back look would probably help.

I like her smile, though. And some of her poses are great :)

I think the other thing that bothers me...is her shirt is wrinkly....I guess I think if you are doing a fashion shoot, you want it to be fashionable and clean...er something.

First of all - i think thats portaits - not Fashionphotos...

Why we take Fashionphotos - becorse someone want to sell fashion -

that means - the most important think is the product fashion
if it is an comercial foto - is the product the most important think
the viewer has to say - i want to by the product -
if it is editorial - like for a magazin - the work can be a little bit more artisitic...

for your next shots - work with some reflectors - mayby white linen, paper, mayby a light flash (more light in the eyes)
open the lens - mayby by 2.8 - to 4.5 with unsharp background
but work with some graphical elements in the back
give the photo more deepness
think about a good styling and make up

try to copy one of a good idea - you mayby see in a fashion or women magazine.

See how we working in my backstage site on:
http://www.knmultimedia.com/backstage.htm

Good luck and regards from Tenerife
Klaus

I like the last one better than the others and the first one is OK. In the rest, she is not smiling...her face is much more attractive when she's smiling.

I think they are a little too dark, for the most part.

To pick two I would say #2 & #6. The poses look more natural than a couple of the others. I would however like to see a little more light on her face.

Most reactions

Back