Please Critique my photos!!

PJCurry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a beginner, been shooting seriously for about a year and have had no professional training or classes. I use a Rebel XTI with a nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) I understand a lot about the camera and how to use it, I just wanted to solicit your opinion on my work. Any Tips? Thanks in advance!

Paul
CarsonandSydnicopy.jpg

BobandVicki.jpg

Handsandfingerscopy.jpg

Hands.jpg

Sydnisleeping.jpg

SydnitArm.jpg

Thanks again for taking the time to grade!

Cute baby, my son is the whole reason I finally bought a DSLR. :)

1) Good concept, but nothing in the image is in focus. Given the angle and the aperture setting, even if the eye closest to the camera were in focus the opposite eye wouldn't be in focus. I would reduce the aperture setting on the 50mm.

2) Again, too wide of an aperture. Nothing really appears to be in focus, expect maybe the babies head. Given what you were shooting, the woman holding the child should have been in focus.

3) Cute shoot, but again, I think the DoF is too shallow and the one finger that's almost in focus really isn't.

4) Too shallow of DoF again, and the hand isn't in clear focus.

5) Again, I believe the DoF is too shallow and the focus is missed here too. The hand is partially obscuring the face. I would have moved to get a clear shot of the face or moved the baby's hand to get a clear shot, with the focus on the eyes and I would have used an aperture setting that left the entire face in focus.

6) Just an under exposed shot of a baby's hairy arm. I'm not sure what you were trying to capture here.

Four and five are my favorites. They have the subject facing the camera, are well light, have very non-distracting backgrounds, and really capture the softness and frailty of the little one.

The first two kinda bother me with a person being in the background. The second and sixth, you can't really see the little one too well. And the third one just doesn't do anything for me, although I don't know why (so its probably opinion).

But four and five are awesome, and I would be very happy getting even one good shot of the little one. :)

While Tharmsen brings up a good point about the DoF I fail to agree with his perspectives.. but that is only if you was attempting to create a certain mood to these photos..

over all the concept in which ive attained from these photos leave a gloomy yet settle feel..

1) shows an older sibling with a curious nature sneaking a peek at the younger sibling.. what i like about the shallow DoF is that it gives a perspective as if you to are sneaking a peek and your soo focused on the infant nothing else seems to matter. hence its lack of focus..

2) this photo goes along with that gloomy feel.. as if something tragic be it an event or news that relates to the infant.. therefore giving the infant complete focus.. than a slight focus on the woman (my assumption is grandmother or care taker) who is holding the infant in a neutering way.. almost as if she is assuring the infant that everything will be ok.. last but surely not least the man in the background who is completely out of focus.. he looks as if the tragedy is too much to bear and because of his weakened state he offers the least amount of support for the infant and therefore is out of the picture so to speak.. via the lack of focus. everything about his nature from supporting both his body weight and his head with his knees elbows and hand to the slouched shoulders screams out sorrow to me and connects very well with the woman who has that assuring look that things will be ok though she feels the pain as well..

3,4) seem to follow that theme but the difference between the two (3 & 4) is the role switch.. 3 shows the infant (even while sleep) reaching out for the support of the caretaker.. and 4 shows the caretaker supporting the infant.. so in one photo the baby is doing the work and in the next the caretaker is doing the work..

5,6) shows growth with a dreamy affect...

so thats my observation.. if you was attempting to accomplish anything near what I saw than you did a terrific job.. however if you didnt that is ok too. everyone sees things differently and while 1 theme may be unpleasing to 1 individual it may be pleasing to another.. (I hope Tharmsen did not feel as if i was bashing his opinion in any faset of a way. just using it to give my observation)

overall very nice pics.. hope to see more
Joe.. also a beginner photographer.. but been going at it for 2 whole weeks.. (hope that doesnt make my observation less meaningful)

Thanks for the critiques, I love them. In all honesty, i see everyones point here. I was trying to achieve the shallow dof for effect. The her hand wrapped around my finger. I tried many shots until i got that one right. I ended up shooting on the F1.8 to achieve the best look. The one with my son looking at his little sister, well i had him crouch down and i focused on the baby, however, for that shot i did have the dof set wrong but it came out looking decent. As for the one with the grandparents, they are only envious of their new (first) grand baby but in some way i think Omit might have been on the right track about the way they were feeling. I thought it was a neat touch making him and her blurry and the babys head in focus. The very last one was taken while she was asleep on my bed. I seen the sun coming in and reflecting off her little hair on her arm. Acting quickly i slapped the nifty fifty on manual focus (due to not enough light) and snapped. For some reason it happens to be my favorite photo.

Tharmsen, thanks buddy, you made some really good points and for that i am gratefull. I am glad i posted these because i need C&C from those that are more advanced such as yourself. Many thanks.

Omit, you did actually percieve the photos as i intended except for the tragic news part. Thank you so much for your comments and critique.

You guys rock!

Paul

Any more critiques?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back