Please Critique Portrait

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by canonrebel, Jun 11, 2004.

1. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Please critique. Negative and positive comments welcome.....

Canon A-1 | Vivitar 80-210 shot at 210 | HP 5470 Scanner | Natural Light |
    Bounced Fill | absolutely no post edits except crop
    [​IMG]

2. Ant Long

Ant Long TPF Noob!

im normally mean and demeaning but i must say i love this picture.

3. Gatsby

Gatsby TPF Noob!

I'm with Ant, this is a wonderful picture. I love pictures of kids that aren't always "smile for the camera".

Great capture!

4. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

What a face! Great picture! Technically, I guess, just a little less light on the hair and a little pop of direct fill would let us see more detail and bring out those baby blues. But those things are hard to see in advance.

5. Patrick

Patrick TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great picture. The softness only adds to it.
    I agree with Rainman. Little less light on the hair would be nice.

Heck..might even make a nice B&W.

6. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Thanks for the kind and wonderful comments, everyone.

I agree on the apparent blowout in the hair, but that was a deliberate decision. I bracketed the shot and this one is the better tradeoff of hair relative to the eyes. The hair is a naturally-platinum white. Exposing for the hair traded off the ice-blue color of the eyes. I elected the frame that kept as much of the eye color as possible without blowing out the hair completely. This frame left enough of the hair's natural awesome color and yet the eye color is close enough. I tried to select the frame that displayed the best of both the hair and the eyes.

7. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Good shot. I think the only thing I would do is leave a little more space on the lafet of the shot. The amount of space to the left of the boys hair seems a little distracting.

8. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

canonrebel,
    That light blond hair definitely presents an exposure challenge! What I was suggesting was for future efforts. A straight up bounce often results in nicely exposed hair but shadowy eye sockets. One technique for working around this is to tape something like a white index card to the back of the flash the bending a bit of it into the path of the flash. The result is to reflect part of the light forward to provide a bit of fill. By bending a bit more of the card into the light path on successive exposures you can "bracket" the balance and choose the frame that provides the best exposure of highlights and shadow. This can be useful when you only have one flash to work with. A variation can also be used to bounce the light from an integral flash though such flashes are not often powerful enough for a full ceiling flash.
    Regards,
    Raymond

9. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Rainman, I've been waiting for your comments. I was getting anxious and was beginning to worry that I wouldn't hear from you on this one. Thanks.

This was an "existing-light" shot--no flash. In similar situations, I've used on-camera-fill flash set on 1/2 output and also on 1/4 output to augment rembrandt and 2 o'clock lighting, but I've never tried the card-on-the-flash technique you've described. And FWIW, I don't recall any of my fill-flash shots being comparable to the above existing-light shot. I was just lucky with this one.

10. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

Ahh, I misunderstood the comments with your original post. I thought you had bounced flash and assumed that was what had brightened the hair.

11. Himalayan

Himalayan TPF Noob!

:) like the facial expression