Please do not Delete - Fixed C:

...The monochrome conversion has a very narrow range of tone, meaning it is nearly all a mid-value gray, with no real blacks or whites. ...
Gotta dispute that... there's lots of great conversions; it just takes a little finesse in the pixel room.

...The monochrome conversion has a very narrow range of tone, meaning it is nearly all a mid-value gray, with no real blacks or whites. ...
Gotta dispute that... there's lots of great conversions; it just takes a little finesse in the pixel room.
I meant this one.

Thanks for all the feedback

I think the concept of what you're trying to show here is great, but I think the image could be improved as well. A couple of thoughts. Had you shot vertically (portrait orientation) you would have captured the subject's whole face & head, alternatively, you could simply have stepped back a bit/ "zoomed out" to open things up and still show the direction in which she is looking, but as-is, it's very tight. The image is also somewhat under-exposed; there's virtually no black or white, just a lot of grey. When metering a scene like this, remember that typical Caucasian skin meters about one stop brighter than middle grey, and lastly, most of her face is quite soft (Out of focus). This is a combination of the aperture you used, the focal length of the lens and the distance from the subject. Become familiar with depth of field and how much of a scene will be in focus.

Now that I think about it, I hadn't taken a photo of people vertically I'll try that. Just to put the information here, I used an aperture of f5 with a 150 mm shouter speed of 1/60 and ISO 400.

Okay folks, there's an image in play now... let's try and pretend this is a photography forum, okay?

My bad! That image still isn't showing up for me on my work system so I cruised right by the first post. Luckily I can see the image on my phone, so...

Victor, welcome to TPF, and thanks for sharing this image. Her face does have a lot of character, partly because of the wrinkles but also the downturn to her mouth giving her a slightly dour expression. (This mood doesn't really carry over to her eyes in my judgement, but since those are behind the slightly tinted lenses her mouth sets the mood for her expression.) It's a nice image, but there are a few things I think might make it stronger.

I like the shallow depth of field used to separate her from the background, but I think you could have benefited from a slightly deeper depth of focus. It would have been nice to get all of her wrinkles sharp, particularly since that seems to be the intent of the image (judging by your title). I think you could have managed that while still getting good separation from the background.

I think the crop on her face is a bit too tight, for a couple reasons. There is relatively a lot of dead space to the left of the shot for as tight as you've framed her face. In my opinion, if the shot is so tight that it eliminates her chin, the top of her head from mid-forehead up, and the side/back of her head from before her ear, the extra space feels incongruous. Also, she seems to be looking up toward the top left corner of the image. Looking up like this imparts a sense of optimism which isn't matched by her expression. With such a tight crop I can't tell if she is looking up or if this perspective is the result of a tilted camera.

Lastly, I think this shot would benefit from a little more dynamic range in the monochrome treatment. This shot looks to be almost entirely mid-gray through dark-gray. I don't know that you need to push the darks too much further towards black, but bringing the lighter portions closer to white would create more contrast. This should help her face stand out from the background even more and also accentuate the wrinkles a bit more.

Thanks for your response C:
I tried exactly that, to separate her from the background and to show the wrinkles, but It was too much xD and yes, she was looking a bit up and I just left the picture as It was. I'll play a bit more in postprocessing and see if I get something a bit better.

Okay folks, there's an image in play now... let's try and pretend this is a photography forum, okay?

This is a photography forum?

Huh. I just come here for free, bad legal advice. Weird.

Ok, well photography then.. lets see, ya - the crop is a little tight on this one.

5 Easy Composition Guidelines from Nikon

Thanks for the response and the link to the video. I'm was trying to apply a bit of those rules as I already had heard of them.

This is the first photo that I show here, and I would love ideas, comments, anything to help me to start seeing photography a bit more as a photographer.
Unfortunately, you now are exposed to one of the shortfalls of digital photography. The monochrome conversion has a very narrow range of tone, meaning it is nearly all a mid-value gray, with no real blacks or whites. It is a good composition, and perhaps in color it could work better, but unless you can extend the range of tones in editing, it will remain a rather flat photograph.

Thanks I'll see how that turns out C:

Thanks for the response and the link to the video. I'm was trying to apply a bit of those rules as I already had heard of them.

Well not every photograph has to go "by the rules" all the time of course, but it's always helpful to know what the "rules" are and decide for yourself when to break them for a desired effect.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Welcome to The Nut House...... I mean The Photo Forum! :allteeth:

The thing that bothers me most about this photo is that your depth of field is too shallow, but that as already been mentioned up above.
This is really a rather nice photo for a beginner, much better than my first work. :)
Do you shoot is RAW?

Welcome to The Nut House...... I mean The Photo Forum! :allteeth:

The thing that bothers me most about this photo is that your depth of field is too shallow, but that as already been mentioned up above.
This is really a rather nice photo for a beginner, much better than my first work. :)
Do you shoot is RAW?

Yes I do, but just now I'm starting to play a bit with post production in lightroom. I'll show another photo before sunday to see if I understood what everyone here is telling me c:

Yes I do, but just now I'm starting to play a bit with post production in lightroom. I'll show another photo before sunday to see if I understood what everyone here is telling me c:

LightRoom is super easy to use, you will love it! And I will look for your next post!

Most reactions

Back