please help a poor captain...

captain-spanky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.higg.co.uk
:(

I'm on a desperate drive to make some money at the moment - I'm 28 and still live with parents so REALLY want to move in with my girlfriend somewhere and I'm desperate to get a VW buggy too and so i'm trying anything i can think of just to make some cash...

can you think of anything that would help?

my brother and his girlfriend are doing gardening for some friends/neighbours to raise a bit of cash so we could try that one at the weekend... We're getting some stuff together to sell off at a car boot sale.. I'm starting to do some original paintings on canvas which might sell at some car shows or over the net... my photography is just nowhere near good enough yet to sell any prints (i will try soon tho), I'm trying my hardest to get a payrise at work but we still seem to have no cash coming it just yet...

We've looked at those 'no capital needed and earn £££ from home' type of jobs from the newspapers and lamposts but they're all very dodgy sounding 'mailing list'/cold calling style businesses...
I personally don't mind doing anything as long as it's gonna get some cash coming in... but those seem to be more hassle than cash

I'm even thinking of selling my camper and i REALLY don't wanna do that..

what have you don't in the past to make some green?

Over here, you can make a ton of money doing landscaping. Just go out and see if people will pay to have their lawns mowed or you can do some yard work around their houses.

Try to sell your pictures. I think they are good enough to sell. You never know until you try.

Good luck!!

It's hard to say not knowing what your skills and such are. Do you know your way around a car engine? Work on peoples cars on the side. Do you live near farm land? Maybe you could see if you could so some farm-hand stuff. (Can't tell I live in a rural community, can ya?) Hobbes' landscaping idea is great. My dad makes his entire living doing that. He works in a couple of high income communities...many well off people will just pay others to do such things.

Anyway...good luck!

unfortunatley, we're in an area where if we went door to door asking if they had any gardening/painting/cleaning jobs we could do for a bit of cash.. they would get a bit paranoid, set the hounds on us and then call the coppers.. :(

Don't go door to door. Make up a flier or something...post it somewhere where there is a lot of traffic. I know here where I live, we have a Casey's General Store...there's a bulliten board right as you are walking out the door. People post stuff advertising for babysitting services, lawnmowing...lost and found..that kinda thing. And some local shopowners will let you put them in their windows. Or take out an ad in the paper. It may cost money to start, but if it gets you jobs, then it'll pay off in the future.

And once people get to know you, and get to know your good service, usually you start getting jobs by word of mouth. That's probably the best advertising you could get.

well I've got a regular job... I'm a designer for Thomas Cook but unfortunatley it doesn't pay as much as a design job for a studio (as in 'industry standard') and i can't afford to run a 30 year old campervan AND save up for a house.
I'm still applying for new jobs with different companies and i'm sure i'm worth at least £18.000 if someone would just give me a shot... but nothing so far :(
I wouldn't mind a part time job at somewhere nice but the local supermarket and mcdonalds don't fit in to that category. :LOL:
I think we're going to try a paper round (delivering the free local paper) and see how that goes...going to try offering ourselves out for some odd job style work and we're also going to do some serious ebaying and car boot sale-ing at the same time and hope that it brings something in while i'm still looking for a better full time job.. :)

New Zealand's economy is doing pretty good at the moment, and there are lotsa of lovely places to take your campervan to. My neighbour is an ex-yorkshireman himself :) And you can get alot for your stirling here.

new zealand jobs

(greedily accepts bribes from nz tourist commission)

vonnagy said:
New Zealand's economy is doing pretty good at the moment...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Ooops sorry. I thought you were making a joke.

If New Zealand's economy is going so well, how come you all moved over here to Oz???

(Now I am just kidding okay - a little light hearted rivallry - no, put that pitch fork down....)

captain-spnaky sign up with a job agency, as a student I know a lot of people that do this, you'll get varied work and reasonable pay and it could prove to be the vital first step in getting some cash together.

Failing that to quote the fun lovin criminals "running around robbing banks" might come a close second alternative.

Most reactions

Back