Please Help! Canon D60

Gallifrey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with a Canon D60? Thanks!

The D60 was a very short-lived model...it had a lot of difficulties with autofocusing,and there was much kvetching and complaining about its AF issues. Canon very,very quickly iterated and went to the 10D model. D60's are sold very cheaply on the used market, even though there are not very many of them. It can be considered an early days consumer d-slr effort.

Are you planning to get one?

The reason I ask is I saw once in a while that people sell their EOS D30 or D60. And often that the asking price is high. (I saw one D30 cost more than a 20D) For me, I do not think they really worth much at all. I 'd rather buy a 20D or above.

Thank you for your responses!

Village Idiot: yes, that is the camera.
Derrel: thank you for your candor! I'm really starting to doubt that this is the camera for me.
Dao: yes, I have considered purchasing a D60, it seemed comfortably in my price range of $500 or less. However, I have heard many people say that the 10D is by far the better camera, and doesn't cost much more. But before I made a solid decision, I wanted to hear the personal experiences of TPF's photographers.

I'm just surprised to even see things like 10D or D60 put out as even close to viable options for a DSLR. I dont even know why a nine-year-old, six-generation-back camera would even be considered as anything other than a collector's item today.

For 500$, you could easilly get a nice modern entry level DSLR like the Rebel XS or a little more for an Rebel XSi.

You know, the EOS 40D cost less than $600 used. And that is a much newer camera than D60

D60 -> 10D -> 20D -> 30D -> "40D" -> 50D

Like this one "http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=862771". The seller is selling it for $550. And you should be able to find more on ebay or craigslist. In fact, last week, I saw a 50D for $600 (local craigslist)

I will check out used the EOS 30D and 40D instead of EOS D60

However, I have heard many people say that the 10D is by far the better camera, and doesn't cost much more
And the 20D is a way better camera than the 10D. If you are looking for an old (because it's cheap) camera, the 20D is still a decent body. The 30D was mostly a cosmetic upgrade from the 20D, so it's also a good camera but maybe not as easy to find that cheap. The 40D was a pretty good upgrade, so that might be my recommendation for a good used camera...but the prices are pretty close to a new(er) rebel body like the Xti etc.

I'm just surprised to even see things like 10D or D60 put out as even close to viable options for a DSLR. I dont even know why a nine-year-old, six-generation-back camera would even be considered as anything other than a collector's item today.

For 500$, you could easilly get a nice modern entry level DSLR like the Rebel XS or a little more for an Rebel XSi.

Why, because the 10D is agreat camera, this was taken with a10D
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Sports-Portfolio/winnerCRW0138/577327860_Emrp5-L.jpg

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Sports-Portfolio/Andrew-Nicholson/568956140_R4i7f-L.jpg

I'm sure the 10D was great when it came out, but for 500$, you could get a brand new XSi, which surpasses the 10D in just about every way. Double resolution, slightly faster burst, slightly better color depth, 14 bit/channel (compared to 12), and while it only goes to 1600, DxO rates the ISO performance slightly better (though I haven't seen any image tests to correlate the numbers).

Plus you get the benefit of not buying a 7 year old camera with no warrenty and who knows how many actuations or what condition the sensor is in.

Nothing against the 10D when it was new, but buying one TODAY is just.... not something I can really wrap my head around. Canon has released four xxD cameras, eight 1D/5D cameras, and the entire line of Digital Rebels (seven cameras in all) since the 10D. A lot of things have changed since then.

btw no one has mentioned this yet...

Neither the D60 nor the 10D are compatible with EF-S lenses even though they are cropped sensored cameras. That is pretty limiting in the wide angle focal lenghts.

I started with the D30 and jumped to the 10D. The 10D is a great camera and my cousin still has it as a backup camera. However, it is an old camera and with technology, time == improvement/advancement. You have to decide whether or not the 10D's capabilities are enough to convince you that the improvements made over the last 7 years isn't worth it.

Now if you worked primarily for a newspaper with newspaper print or online being the final output, heck I'd take a 1dsM1 or 1dm1 over a similarly priced new camera.

Neither the D60 nor the 10D are compatible with EF-S lenses even though they are cropped sensored cameras. That is pretty limiting in the wide angle focal lenghts.

Wow, I had no idea. I came into DSLR terrirory around the time of the Rebel XT, and didnt know much about older cameras. Learn something new every day. :thumbup:

I started with the D30 and jumped to the 10D. The 10D is a great camera and my cousin still has it as a backup camera. However, it is an old camera and with technology, time == improvement/advancement. You have to decide whether or not the 10D's capabilities are enough to convince you that the improvements made over the last 7 years isn't worth it.

Now if you worked primarily for a newspaper with newspaper print or online being the final output, heck I'd take a 1dsM1 or 1dm1 over a similarly priced new camera.

Sure they are you just have to chop it up.

I got an EF-S kit lens for free and I hacked it up. Works like a charm on my 10D.:mrgreen:

I've had my 10D for about 5 years. I'd say if you could find one for under $200 it could be worth it. MP doesn't matter that much, but even to the 20D is a big jump and can be found for $250-300 if you get lucky on eBay. I wont retire it until I can afford a proper replacement. No dual scroll wheel = no dice for me.

Thank you for your responses!

Village Idiot: yes, that is the camera.
Derrel: thank you for your candor! I'm really starting to doubt that this is the camera for me.
Dao: yes, I have considered purchasing a D60, it seemed comfortably in my price range of $500 or less. However, I have heard many people say that the 10D is by far the better camera, and doesn't cost much more. But before I made a solid decision, I wanted to hear the personal experiences of TPF's photographers.

I ordered a Canon 30D with extra battery for $385 including pay pal and shipping fees from www.photography-on-the.net 's classified section. The 30D is still a very strong camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back