please help Daisy??

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Daisy is a member in a online friends network.. another member appears to be interested in a photo of her. The shot is not really that great, and here are the comments copied and pasted below...

Date: [1-5-2006 10:05 AM]
Subject: RESPONSE IS A VIRTUE
hello Daisy,
this is definately for real...the picture we are actually interested in is the one on hi5.it will be used for one of the bill boards we are putting up at heathrow airport london.there is no need for you to sign any document cause we can't use your picture without your consent..the sign up fee is coming straight from coca-cola it self and its written on the check..25% is yours.i'm just doing what i get paid for ,consulting you...hope hear from you soon...
Regards,
Helen
=== Original Message === >>>>

hi i dont know if this is real or not and i really dont know what youre talking about! did you just saw my picture here in hi-5 and picked it for a commercial or watever? have no idea whats this all about,could you give me some clarification here? and if this is real,i would like to sign or see the contract first before i send any pictures! thanks a lot!

=== Original Message === >>>>

Hi Daisy,
I quite appreciate your swift response concerning the modelling contract.Our web-site is under construction.Your picture has been accepted by the Agency Ghost Inc.We don't descriminate sizes or shapes ,we just acknowledge gorgeous pictures and use it for commercialsThe Financier will airmail payment to you by UPS courier service.Our financial office is based in Cincinnati Ohio.
You will receive a check payment from Coca-cola bottling company , as paymet for the contract..You will take out the 25% for this particular picture and go ahead to send the balance over to your Agent via western union Tranfer for Legal Documentation of the deal.This payment will be used as "Sign up fee" with the agent.I will be awaiting your urgent response with the following information:
FULL NAME:
ADDRESS: .
For futher information you can contact:
Financier (Mr Joshua P.Megan)
Office +447040104198..Feel free to call him at any time.
N*B
We are still awaiting to receive Four pictures of you.The photos required is basically for a Coca-cola advertisment bill board at Heathrow airport here in london..Let us know your decision ASAP..
Many thanks,
Helen Kientsch
Ghost Inc..
Send pictures and Information to [email protected]

If anyone can advise us we would appreciate it!

Phishing scam?

This is the part that gets me Ray. A major company would never expect you to transfer money on their behalf?!
You will receive a check payment from Coca-cola bottling company , as paymet for the contract..You will take out the 25% for this particular picture and go ahead to send the balance over to your Agent via western union Tranfer for Legal Documentation of the deal.This payment will be used as "Sign up fee" with the agent.

Ask them for the name of the website. Under construction or not, it has to be registered. You could look for availability of the domain name at godaddy.com?

There are just too many little things here that don't *feel* right? Terrible grammar. No contact other than a phone #?
Anybody in London want to check out the phone #?

Looks very iffy to me to Ray.
surfing HI5 for advert pics? seems very dodgy as they say. Coca Cola can afford to use Getty Images or the like or hire their own in-house photog for cryin out loud.

I am surprised they did not ask for your bank account or credit card #. In all seriousness I am a little confused as well. I would give this one a lot of scrutiny and play it safe. On the other hand; seems like it could be a big job. Personally I have had weeks of negotiations before the work starts. Mostly because a lot of money was involved. Definitely a little unnerving, but worth it in the end.

I read about something like this recently. I am sorry I can't find the link. In that case the checks/MO were forged and it took the bank awhile to figure that out. Meanwhile the people had cashed the checks against their account and sent the money on. Later the bank held their funds to pay it back. Generally its not how reputable businesses conduct themselves.

Thanks everyone.. one thing that gets me is, this was taken with an old sony cybershot, 2.1 megpix, and was heavily cropped.. here is the shot., hardly likely that it would suit a billboard.

93399379zUCeRh_ph.jpg

In addition to what others have mentioned, I've never seen a model asked to supply shots for anything other than to get an idea of what they look like (head shot, etc). That's the photographers job.

The police warned people here about something very similar. It comes from people selling cars online. The seller gets contacted and the buyer arranges to send way more money then the car is selling for along with a request to have the balance sent overseas somewhere. Turns out the same way digital flower said it does. They cash the check, send the funds, and a couple days later the check bounces and they're out that money. If it sounds to good to be true chances are....

Tell them you'll agree to their terms but you won't send any money until the check clears. You won't hear from them again...

You will receive a check payment from Coca-cola bottling company , as paymet for the contract..You will take out the 25% for this particular picture and go ahead to send the balance over to your Agent via western union Tranfer for Legal Documentation of the deal.
Scam. Don't respond.
Wedding photographers regularly get these sort of stuff.

danalec99 said:
Scam. Don't respond.
Wedding photographers regularly get these sort of stuff.

Thanks ... I was sure this was a scam, but I wanted to see if everyone agreed.. there is so much garabage going on the internet these days, very unfortunate.

I appreciate everyones help here.

Scam. I have dealt with various publishers and ad agencies over the years and none operate like this. There is no way they can use that file for what they want. They more the likely just want some account info and personal info.

Eric

Just to let you know, this is an overseas money order scam. I almost fell for it once, but did some research and did a 180 on them by messing with their heads and allowing them to send me the money order, then turning it over to the FBI who has been tracking these people for a long time. They mostly use yahoo email addresses and are run by many many people overseas and also change their email address and IP address nonstop. What they do is send you a money order for more than what your item is worth (In my instance, I was selling a horse) and then want you to "Western Union" the remainder to their broker, "horse hauler", etc. within a few hours so that you do not have time for your bank to find out it is a bogus money order, etc. Never ever ever fall for this Scam!! You will be sending them your own hard earned money as well as being negative their bonus payment!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back