Please help I got a few questions?

Alrighty, on a more serious note. So heres what Ive learned from you guys... My Book thread report!

So some lenses will ONLY work on the 40/50D - these are typically listed as EF-S lenses. So if you plan on going full frame and doing weddings, keep in mind that EF-S lenses will not be re-usable. A money saver for down the road

Get lenses with f stops lower than 2.8 Another money saver for down the road.

Lens options:
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - $1700
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L - $1300
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - $1000
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L - $1500

That was the NUT BUSTER Right there man.... :grumpy:

You can also look at some third party lenses such as Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - $500 :thumbup:

For a flash, look at the Canon 580EX. :thumbup:

I would think shooting at 3200 would be key for low light photography, specially if you have f/2.8 glass. <---Ah haaaa, Im getting it now. :lol:

So heres where Im at, one concern is the ISO rating for a canon 50D

If I decide to go with it, dont buy the kit that comes with the lenses CUZ THEIR CRAP!!!! F3.5 and up is NO GOOD!! And if I do buy a more expensive lense dont try not to get the EF-S cuz they may not aork with a nicer body down the road. But a EF will.

Im may go with the Cannon 50D and find one lense thats 28mm-135mm that is also F2.8 and has all the other important crap. There. See guys. That wasnt so hard. PS, I already got the boat. (LOL) So rather then partying, just thought Id brighten your day with a little humor. I am dead set in pursuing photography and do very much appreciate all the time you guys put into helping me out. Thanks again.

Alrighty, on a more serious note. So heres what Ive learned from you guys... My Book thread report!

So some lenses will ONLY work on the 40/50D - these are typically listed as EF-S lenses. So if you plan on going full frame and doing weddings, keep in mind that EF-S lenses will not be re-usable. A money saver for down the road

Lens options:

You can also look at some third party lenses such as Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - $500 :thumbup:

I would think shooting at 3200 would be key for low light photography, specially if you have f/2.8 glass. <---Ah haaaa, Im getting it now. :lol:

If I decide to go with it, dont buy the kit that comes with the lenses CUZ THEIR CRAP!!!! F3.5 and up is NO GOOD!! And if I do buy a more expensive lense dont try not to get the EF-S cuz they may not aork with a nicer body down the road. But a EF will.

Im may go with the Cannon 50D and find one lense thats 28mm-135mm that is also F2.8 and has all the other important crap. There. See guys. That wasnt so hard. PS, I already got the boat. (LOL) So rather then partying, just thought Id brighten your day with a little humor. I am dead set in pursuing photography and do very much appreciate all the time you guys put into helping me out. Thanks again.

The only camera that I would feel really comfortable shooting at ISO3200 would be the 5D Mk II - $2700.

Lens options:

The only camera that I would feel really comfortable shooting at ISO3200 would be the 5D Mk II - $2700.

but if I got with the 50D and get EF glass and not EF-S I can always upgrade at a later date and use the 50D as a back up. Just throwing that out there. Now to go back to shopping for glass.

Not sure what your experence is but I would recomend putting that money in a savings account and taking some classes before spending it all on gear.

There are lots of courses taught by working pros in your area that can give you plenty of insite into the business.

This may also let you know if weddings is something you want to do. Some people are just not cut out for it. You may find yourseld better suited for other types of photography.

I agree, I would start off with a basic DSLR like the Canon 40D. Then take some classes.

I agree about the fast lense (this might be a page or so ago, so sorry if we are no longer talking about it.)
The reason I agree is because in special events like weddings, you just do not have the option of missing a perfect shot. There are other professions, like concert photography, where you will have several moments to capture something awesome. However, at a wedding most of the special moments, like walking down the isle and kissing the bride happen fast and once. You do not want one of your clients dissapointed because word of mouth is how you will get more jobs.

Good luck though. I love the idea of studying under someone else. I am taking a photography class in the fall, and I pray to find someone in my area to study under.

So Im gonna need one of these.

Mind you it doesnt say EF-S anywhere.

Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
$1200
or do I not want wide angle?

264304.jpg

and one these

Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
$1300
This one looks kewl enough to impress the ladies. With a lense like that I may just look like a pro. (LOL) I mean you dont even need to take good photos with some bad ass glass like that! :lol:

91680.jpg

Aside from getting this equipment you are going to need to know how to use it which is much harder than buying it. I think you need to take a step back and examine your current equipment, for example, what are F-Stop ranges on your current lenses and how do you incorporate their abilities into your current work?

Lens options:

but if I got with the 50D and get EF glass and not EF-S I can always upgrade at a later date and use the 50D as a back up. Just throwing that out there. Now to go back to shopping for glass.

Yeah, stay away from EF-S lenses. I had the 17-55 2.8 IS then sold it and got the 27-70 2.8L.

FYI, a lens that does not zoom is called a "prime" lens. Example is the 50mm lens you mention. Generally, they have the best image quality. But you sacrifice the versatility and have to zoom with your feet.

So Im gonna need one of these.

Mind you it doesnt say EF-S anywhere.

Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
$1200
or do I not want wide angle?

264304.jpg

and one these

Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
$1300
This one looks kewl enough to impress the ladies. With a lense like that I may just look like a pro. (LOL) I mean you dont even need to take good photos with some bad ass glass like that! :lol:

91680.jpg

If you get the 70-200, make sure you spend the extra $$ and get IS.

So can one of you recomend a one of three lenses.

A good non EF-S with IS and F/2.8 or faster.

Ill need either a middle of the road one.

24mm-135mm

or two seperate ones.

17mm-70mm and a 70mm-200mm

Last edited:
Just a little wedding info I gathered that I thought Id share.

If your shooting in a church with low light and they dont allow flash. You shouldnt set your ISO Above 800, if the bride or groom wants a photo blown up above 8x10 you start to get the grainy image. Its just what I heard, dont shoot the messenger.

Wedding photographers mostly use a 24mm-135mm lens. Not for every shot but for majority of them. I think thats why I cant seem to find one lens in that range at F 2.8. You kind of get screwed into having to buy two separate sizes. :er:

Everyone who suggested the Canon 5D MarkII with a F 2.8 lens was right on. Thats what the pros use and what I would if I could afford it. But right now, Im going to go with a 50D Kit for $1300 that comes with 18mm-55mm IS EF-S F2.8 <---Which I wont get much use out of, plus a Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III auto focus lens. Plus a bunch of other crap I probably dont need, then Im gonna buy a 24-135mm EF F/3.5 IS for around $400 plus a 580EX for $360. When Im good enough to take on some higher end clientel Ill invest in the F/2.8 glass with the L Glass and eventually a 5D MarkII. But until then I look forward to shooting babys and familys in parks. :lol: and of course the occasional bride and groom. Thanks, tomorrow I start spending. :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Make sure to add a good contract and insurance to your list.

Hell hath no fury like a pi$$ed-off bride.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back