Please help - just bought a new (used) lens...

Missed seeing this post earlier - Bird was the point of focus, I was using the center point plus the 1 point on each side of center, so it's possible that could have caused a missed focus, but I am having a hard time seeing any point of focus on those. I was using the view finder, not the live view screen so it was pressed up against my face with left hand steadying lens and right hand on camera body.
Interesting... it almost looks like motion blur, but at 1/1500, that's unlikely. Was the bird your point of focus?

Looking at the second one, it very definitely looks like motion blur; how were you holding the camera/lens?

I couldn't find a point of focus in that one either. Looking at them again, full-res and over the whole image, I think perhaps Gary may be right. Were you getting an 'in focus' indication?

I couldn't find a point of focus in that one either. Looking at them again, full-res and over the whole image, I think perhaps Gary may be right. Were you getting an 'in focus' indication?
Yeah - I got a beep and red flash on the focus points. I don't have any experience at this point with having lens work done - do you guys think if this is a lens issue it is potentially fixable? Thought I got a pretty good deal on the lens at $770, but hoping my savings over a new purchase are not eaten up with a repair or worse, not repairable at all...

Do some experimenting at various apertures and focal lengths using a tripod to verify that the lens is, or is not operating correctly. It could be as simple as using your AF fine-adjust to 'dial the lens in', but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm a Nikonian, so I have no knowledge of Canon repair services, but if the lens is faulty and was a Nikon, I'd guess it was a $300 - 350 repair.

Do some experimenting at various apertures and focal lengths using a tripod to verify that the lens is, or is not operating correctly. It could be as simple as using your AF fine-adjust to 'dial the lens in', but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm a Nikonian, so I have no knowledge of Canon repair services, but if the lens is faulty and was a Nikon, I'd guess it was a $300 - 350 repair.
Sounds good - I'll work with it on the tripod tomorrow and see what I come up with. While I have not had to do any equipment repairs in the past, the local place I know to go to in AZ is Tempe Camera. Without endorsing a particular business, do you think this is a good way to go or do you think I need to send it in to Canon?

The lens is seriously out of calibration. I expect that at least one element is extremely loose, not just de-centered, but practically rattling around inside with its retaining ring not even screwed into place.

Likely scenarios:A)It's been dropped, and something is seriously out of alignment, or B)it was disassembled by the previous owner and put back together on a kitchen table after a few vodka and tonics. B) is a likely scenarios after the original owner saw four or five dust specks inside his lens, and he decided to "fix the problem".

Look at the central area at 111mm,and it's ONLY sharp in one tiny area...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/attachments/_mg_9487-jpg.97196/

At longer focal lengths, the images are utter garbage. The seller no doubt knew the lens was duff. You bought a bum steer.

The lens is seriously out of calibration. I expect that at least one element is extremely loose, not just de-centered, but practically rattling around inside with its retaining ring not even screwed into place..
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that possibility; does the lens make any noise when you move/shake it? A "free floating" element would certainly explain the lack of consistency between the images.

I have this lens and it's tack sharp through out its focal range and even wide open. Are you sure the IS working on the lens? you should hear a constant sound as long as the shutter is press halfway but even so at those shutter speeds shouldn't even need it. I posted a few shots you should expect from this lens.

This one is @ 200mm 1/640 f/4.0
IMG_0298 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

Not sure the EXIF on this one,it seems to have lost after editing.This was a heavy crop.
13563059614_1e8099fb08_b-1 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

The lens is seriously out of calibration. I expect that at least one element is extremely loose, not just de-centered, but practically rattling around inside with its retaining ring not even screwed into place..
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that possibility; does the lens make any noise when you move/shake it? A "free floating" element would certainly explain the lack of consistency between the images.
Oh no...I hadn't noticed it before, but I just checked and do feel a slight rattle. Does this change my ability or price to have it repaired??? Will try and contact the seller about his history with it, but I doubt he's going to happily turn the money back over to me... :(

Yes - this is what I was expecting!!! Getting a little nervous I may have wasted a bunch of money...

I have this lens and it's tack sharp through out its focal range and even wide open. Are you sure the IS working on the lens? you should hear a constant sound as long as the shutter is press halfway but even so at those shutter speeds shouldn't even need it. I posted a few shots you should expect from this lens.

This one is @ 200mm 1/640 f/4.0
IMG_0298 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

Not sure the EXIF on this one,it seems to have lost after editing.This was a heavy crop.
13563059614_1e8099fb08_b-1 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

It's hard to say, but if it is a loose/mis-aligned element, I wouldn't even want to guess at the price. It could be an easy fix, or it could be beyond saving. I have to ask though, did you not test the lens thoroughly before handing over the money?

I think Derrel is on the money.This is why I am afraid of buying used glass unless its refurb by the manufacturer.

It's hard to say, but if it is a loose/mis-aligned element, I wouldn't even want to guess at the price. It could be an easy fix, or it could be beyond saving. I have to ask though, did you not test the lens thoroughly before handing over the money?
Well, I guess the word "thoroughly" would seem to be up for some debate...
Admittedly, my working knowledge from an internal parts perspective is pretty limited. When I purchased it, I took my camera along and took some test shots and in terms of looking at the live view thought things looked fine, although I didn't zoom in on the photos which in hindsight seems to have been a mistake. In reality I realize I probably don't have the knowledge to really accurately asses the various potential problems to look for when buying a used lens. Thank you all for you help - guess I'll take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. Just sent a politely worded email to the seller inquiring about his history with the lens...

Well, I guess the word "thoroughly" would seem to be up for some debate...
Admittedly, my working knowledge from an internal parts perspective is pretty limited. When I purchased it, I took my camera along and took some test shots and in terms of looking at the live view thought things looked fine, although I didn't zoom in on the photos which in hindsight seems to have been a mistake. In reality I realize I probably don't have the knowledge to really accurately asses the various potential problems to look for when buying a used lens. Thank you all for you help - guess I'll take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. Just sent a politely worded email to the seller inquiring about his history with the lens...
Good luck!

yep, no way that this is user error. The images don't even look like missed focus, they have that sort of "off calibration look" I used to see when one of the photographers at the studio I used to work for would drop a lens. It's like it's out of focus, but more "nervous" looking is the only way I can think to describe it.

Most reactions

Back