Please help - just bought a new (used) lens...

If an element is loose and you send it back to Canon for repair, you are looking at the $200 range for repair. (Speaking from experience, because, I sent my 70-200mm f/4 back to them for this very thing in December 2014.)

Being the Value of this lens even at used prices is worth fixing If its around the couple hundred dollar range.If anything, the little shipping cost back to canon is worth the trip to have canon look at it.

@DarkShadow that was exactly how I was with it. They look at it and determine what needs work and how much before you have to decide. If you don't want to, they ship it back to you.

I had already spent the $500 for the lens and I would have to add twice that to it to get the 2.8, so I fixed mine and it was well worth the expense. (I still want the 2.8 but I can wait now)

That model of lens is very, very good - I have a copy and it's super sharp. I think Derrel has diagnosed the problem right. If the seller won't refund you the money, then getting the lens fixed by Canon is probably worth it - one it's fixed, it'll be a favourite.

When the optics are in question, you really MUST perform carefully controlled testing -- no live shots because too many things can cause weird problems.

Put the camera on a tripod, if a lens has IS... switch it off. Carefully focus at a flat target (tape a piece of newsprint to a wall -- something with LOTS of contrasty detail from corner to corner.) Take some test shots. Run focus out to infinity... force the camera to re-focus and take more test shots. Run the focus in to minimum distance... force the camera to re-focus and take even more test shots. Now you have data. You KNOW the camera wasn't moving. You KNOW the subject wasn't moving. You KNOW the IS was switched off so it wasn't moving. And since you took lots of shots that forced re-focusing from max distance and min distance, you can determine if it focuses correctly when coming from one direction vs. the other.

Some of those shots look like the lens has coma (astigmatism -- that would be caused by a lens element not being collimated -- so it's out of alignment or askew). But I can't be sure unless you take all the variables out (eliminate the possibility of human error from hand-held photography or moving subjects, etc.)

I read that IS does not work over 1/500? of a second and can cause problems if it is used, have you tried turning it off, 1/1500 does not really need IS.

John.

I think IS can cause problems on with higher shutter speeds with any lens,but I haven't experienced this with this lens.Here is a shot @ 1/4000 f/4.o @ 187.0 mm IS on.
IMG_1993 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

The lens is seriously out of calibration. I expect that at least one element is extremely loose, not just de-centered, but practically rattling around inside with its retaining ring not even screwed into place.

I agree with Derrel. There's really not a single thing positive to say about the samples you've provided. One of the images is out of whack to the point where I'd have guessed it was shot with a Lens Baby as opposed to that lens.

I have this exact issue with an old 18-200 nikkor lens I bought at an auction. I was unaware that it was repairable. Now that I know I'm going to pay a visit to a camera store.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input - ronlane was correct in terms of price, total cost for repair including shipping was $255. While disappointing and a lesson learned, I am still happy that the used price paid plus repair costs still came in under what the new price is. Thanks again for all the help!

I just got my 80-200mm 2.8 ed back from nikon. They replaced the AF motor, focusing ring, a/m switch, rubber rings, general cleaning, $200. it took them a week. They also check infinity focus, lens mount, communications, auto focus operation. Not a bad price in my opinion.

I just got my 80-200mm 2.8 ed back from nikon. They replaced the AF motor, focusing ring, a/m switch, rubber rings, general cleaning, $200. it took them a week. They also check infinity focus, lens mount, communications, auto focus operation. Not a bad price in my opinion.

Did you ask for all of that specifically? I have the Af-s version of this lens and the motor is going out. It is also not very sharp so it may need to be tuned.

I hate to say it, but that's one heck of a lesson learned. At least it's repairable though, and at a good rate. My condolences.

For what it's worth for buying lenses in the future, especially if you're going to buy used, I find it's usually best to stick with reputable retailers...the bigger names like Adorama, BH Photo, and Keh, to name a few. Amazon can be great, but you really have to pay attention to the seller, and I'd say it's worth just staying away from Ebay.

I hope you can get the lens fixed soon. It's a great piece of glass when its working right!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back