please help me choose once again.

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All...
Which of the options would you choose as your camera ?
I would like to have something which takes good sharp pics and is good in low light.. I would mostly use it for family outings but would also consider doing weddings and reception with the same gear... basically something which doesn't hold me back.
1) nikon d7100 + sigma 17-35 f1.8
2) nikon d610 + nikon 28-70 f2.8
3) canon 6d + canon 24-105 f4
4) Sony a7R + sony 24-70 f4

Atm these are the choices I have available for me...
Thanks

The Nikon D610 for sure!

Last edited:
My pick from that list would be the Nikon D610...but you know, the 28-70 AF-S is a BIG, HEAVY, and very attention-grabbingn coffee-can sized zoom lens,right? it is sooooo front-havy on a small, light, half0height body that the torque on your right wrist will be awful. The 28-70 AF-S was designed for the Nikon F5, one of **the**heaviest and most bottom-heavy Nikons ever invented, due to its massive load of AA batteries placed low in the camera bottom.

A now 12-15 year-old 28-70 AF-S is not the lens I would pick for family outings...ever. Ever-ever. I would get the new 24-85 AF-S G VR lens option with the D610. Or, for indoor, lower light use, go for any one of several adequate, yet small,light prime lenses. A massive, 44-ounce lens on a half-height modern digital SLR body is not much fun. It's not well balanced. it's not the weight so much as the bad balance of that, specific lens on any lightweight, half-height Nikon.

Hi All...
Which of the options would you choose as your camera ?
I would like to have something which takes good sharp pics and is good in low light.. I would mostly use it for family outings but would also consider doing weddings and reception with the same gear... basically something which doesn't hold me back.
1) nikon d7100 + sigma 17-35 f1.8
2) nikon d610 + nikon 28-70 f2.8
3) canon 6d + canon 24-105 f4
4) Sony a7R + sony 24-70 f4

Atm these are the choices I have available for me...
Thanks

D610 with 28-70 f2.8 for sure.... yep, it's a thick, heavy lens, but it's awesome!!!

D610 would be my choice as well, great camera and I have used it a few times in low light situations and performs great for me. I had the D7100 before this and it's a great camera as well, but if you can afford the extra cash for the D610 you won't be sorry.

Thanks all for the reply. u have used the d600 before and it is an amazing camera... only problem is that with the lens it really becomes very very heavy ....
How about the sony a7? I have heard so many people say that it's the same sensor as d610.. and its small as well ...so that is not a good option ?

Sony A7....the camera with 10 lenses to choose from... Sensor is similar or the same as the D610, yes, except it shoots 11-bit, doctored RAW files, not 12 or 14-bit...read the Thom Hogan review of the A7. The A7 gets you a small camera body, with a pretty weak battery and...for the most part, somewhat large-ish lenses. The A7 is a camera that Sony thought would "take off"...but instead it has lost retail price like a hot air balloon that's going to crash has had junk in the gondola pitched overboard...the original A7 is now $998 at B&H Photo...so that does make the price attractive...the Mark II is about double that, plus a hundred dollars.

Maybe you ought to go to a store and try them out, and see how you like them...perhaps you're more interested in SIZE of the camera, rather than anything else? Plus...a camera for family outings is NOT the same camera I would pick for wedding and reception/event work....one is called an iPhone, the other is a Nikon...

Thanks all for the reply. u have used the d600 before and it is an amazing camera... only problem is that with the lens it really becomes very very heavy ....
How about the sony a7? I have heard so many people say that it's the same sensor as d610.. and its small as well ...so that is not a good option ?

Sony is good, but very limited amount of lenses available. I personally, didn't like the feel of the A7, it was just too small but if you are into street photography I can see it being an advantage when wanting a full frame street camera.

My vote is for the D610, but I'm bias obviously hehe. As for the lens, I'd kind of recommend the 24-85 VR kit, its really good for general photography and get yourself a 50 1.8G/85 1.8G if you want to get into doing portraits.

Hope this helps!

Nikon d610 or canon 6d. I'd go nikon first, but by limiting it to the big 2 and going dslr and fullframe you get good low light ability, more usable autofocus and a glut of lenses and accessories, own brand and third party. Things are changing, but dslrs are still (imo) the most complete package. This may change in time

Thanks all for the reply... the reason why I mentioned a7 was because of the price.. it's really cheap now for that sort of a sensor.. plus yes the size is small ... to be honest the lens option doesn't bother me much. . I am not going to buy 20+ lens for any system as I don't have the money plus I keep changing systems too often...
My basic lens option would be a 24-70 for general purpose and a 50mm for potraiTs and a good strong flash.. I know I can't do weddings or paid stuff with just these items but I can atleast cover most of it and then maybe rent a telephoto..
I was also thinking I could add a battery grip to give me more juice and extra grip when I am shoot for long and remove everything for the compactness ...

Sony A7....the camera with 10 lenses to choose from... Sensor is similar or the same as the D610, yes, except it shoots 11-bit, doctored RAW files, not 12 or 14-bit...read the Thom Hogan review of the A7. The A7 gets you a small camera body, with a pretty weak battery and...for the most part, somewhat large-ish lenses. The A7 is a camera that Sony thought would "take off"...but instead it has lost retail price like a hot air balloon that's going to crash has had junk in the gondola pitched overboard...the original A7 is now $998 at B&H Photo...so that does make the price attractive...the Mark II is about double that, plus a hundred dollars.

Maybe you ought to go to a store and try them out, and see how you like them...perhaps you're more interested in SIZE of the camera, rather than anything else? Plus...a camera for family outings is NOT the same camera I would pick for wedding and reception/event work....one is called an iPhone, the other is a Nikon...
To that I need to add the weak AF system.
Got to speak with 2 A7 users and both right of the bat said the AF is slow and not very functional in low light, the one on the A6000 is much better.
In regards to lenses, if you want a nice fast zoom lenses like a 24-70mm 2.8 then you can look somewhere else, Sony only has an F4 which means its a full stop slower then the Canon/Nikon/ Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and in low light thats a lot!!!
A7 is a good FF mirrorless but still not as good as a proper FF DSLR, I am sure it will get there but its still not there now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back