Please help me First DSLR ordering online

personally i just like the peace of mind...i have bought things from craigs list that were suppose to be in mint condition but weren't so i just dont trust CL

To each their own of course, however wouldn't you be inspecting the product before handing cash over?

To each their own of course, however wouldn't you be inspecting the product before handing cash over?

As a "beginner", I am not sure what to inspect.

Also, with high resell value of some lens, sometimes the saving is minimal + no warranty. I believe Canon service centers require original sales receipt, and not just the warranty card.

"Peace of mind" is best explanation :)

yes, i would be inspecting the product but how would i know what to look for when buying a used camera or lens...this is my first camera and i know very little about the products. so i wouldn't know what to watch out for when buying used.

Check out B&H's rating scale...its pretty detailed.

"Rating"=Minor scratches, marks all working order
"Rating"=noticeable wear, all in working order
"Rating"=can't believe we're selling this but heck it still works..

If buying a camera used I'd find out how many actuations it has. IMO same concept as buying a used car and making sure timing belt was changed.

Lenses make sure no scratches on the lens, etc.

Theres not that many things you really need to check:

Take the lens off and inspect that mirror you first see when you do so.

Look for any dust in/around that hole. If there is anything, chances are there might be more where you cant see.

Obvious cracks breaks.

Turn the camera on and make sure it actually "works". Bring a highspeed card with you so you can be sure the thing records photos properly (I remember buying a camera and took some photos and it was taking a few seconds to view/record - had a nice memory stick, and fella then lets me know "its been doing that".)

Really thats about it. I mean you don't have to go through CL or eBay, but I think a bit of education will help you save quite a bit of money, and opens up a GREAT resource for buying good used equipment on the cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back