Please help me - I need advice on picking a camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by gvictor87, Dec 2, 2009.

1. gvictor87

gvictor87 TPF Noob!

Hello forum,

Can anyone help me out? I am a newbie looking for a handheld digital camera with the following specs:

+Under $400
    +720/30fps video recording
    +10MP+ for digital photos
    +Microphone input for adding an external mic

Would be nice...
    +Fold out LCD Screen

Basically this camera -- but with an input for adding an external mic! Help please:
    Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-CG10 HD Flash Memory Camcorder w/5x Optical Zoom (Black): Electronics

(As a second option something like this --but with an external mic input -- would do)
    Amazon.com: Samsung SL820 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0 inch LCD (Black): Electronics

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Under $200? Sorry, not gonna happen.

3. gvictor87

gvictor87 TPF Noob!

Ok Under $400.. but don't let that stop you from naming a suitable cam (but I can't afford over that)

Do you have any thoughts on Sanyo? Other brands you prefer?

4. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lets be honest here, those cameras are crap. For 400$ get a Nikon D40 w/ a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Your going to need a DSLR if you want to get serious. The point and shoots wont cut it, your going to blow 400 bucks on a P&S and realize you need a DSLR.

Do you want to get into photography?

5. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^^ What he says ^^^

6. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agreed.

Mark

7. CWN

CWN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Edit - see below :lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  8. gvictor87

gvictor87 TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice, that is a better brand, but I don't get it the camera you recommended has only 6 MP, how is that better? Also, no video on this camera, right?

I am reading the specs from Amazon, are they accurate?:
    Amazon.com: Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens: Electronics

What does DSLR stand for?
    I just want to take good pics of family/friends and have video capabilities for basketball games and mic to pickup singing and video casting.

9. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes those are the correct specs, the D40 wont take video. Theres a difference between a camcorder and a dslr. My d90 takes video but dslrs that have video start from 800$. Megapixels are not the definition of quality on a camera. DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. You need to do some more research.

Anyone got a link to what megapixels are? Im way to lazy. :lol:

10. CWN

CWN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unles you are blowing up shots for billboards, MP's are mostly a marketing ploy to get you to buy a newer (more $$) camera that you may not really need. More MP's makes you want it....

In prints 8.5" X 11" you won't see any noticeable difference between 6MP and 10MP.

I use a 2MP Fuji P&S to take 8.5" x 11" all the time for my business notebook I use to show my customers and they are fine.

You won't get any usable video functions in a DSLR unless you go D90 or similiar, up towards $1,000.00

Here is another thread from TPF where all images in here have been taken with a Nikon D40. There are some amazing shots in that thread for being taken with a D40.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lery/182989-post-your-nikon-d40-pictures.html

Even if you were to spend all of your $400 on a camcorder to get the video function you want, it isn't going to be very good.

Why do you need video on a DSLR? Why not get a camcorder? Get one that you can print one individual frame from.

I am not gonna take your photo with my cellphone, and not gonna call you on my camera...

12. MPSax1

MPSax1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, I'd ignore some of the DSLR comments. Of course nothing but larger format cameras with have the quality of DSLR's but really the G10 or G11 will make you a very happy man. I believe they have they have HD video (my friend has one) and their image quality is matched to DSLRs, I didn't believe it at first, but its about there. The only thing you lose is the versatility of lenses but hey, you have video, GREAT image quality, and its much more portable

Also, you mentioned you wanted 10+ megapixels. I hope you realize that the nikon d40 is 6 megapixels for a reason. 6 megapixels will easily print a 8x11.5 page of photo. Those 14 megapixel cameras make me ask God why it has to be this way. With more pixels you get more noise on those tiny sensors. These days you can't get it that way though.

My advice, go to the canon usa website. They have plenty of cameras for under $300 that match the specs of what you want and they are the best point and shoots on the market. As long as you aren't hoping to go into ultra-serious photography, grab a point and shoot. If you aren't fully set on going there, I recommend the G10 all the way. An overall, fantastic camera