Please help me - I need advice on picking a camera

gvictor87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello forum,

Can anyone help me out? I am a newbie looking for a handheld digital camera with the following specs:

+Under $400
+720/30fps video recording
+10MP+ for digital photos
+Microphone input for adding an external mic

Would be nice...
+Fold out LCD Screen

Basically this camera -- but with an input for adding an external mic! Help please:
Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-CG10 HD Flash Memory Camcorder w/5x Optical Zoom (Black): Electronics

(As a second option something like this --but with an external mic input -- would do)
Amazon.com: Samsung SL820 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0 inch LCD (Black): Electronics

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Under $200? Sorry, not gonna happen.

Ok Under $400.. but don't let that stop you from naming a suitable cam (but I can't afford over that)

Do you have any thoughts on Sanyo? Other brands you prefer?

Under $200? Sorry, not gonna happen.

Ok Under $400.. but don't let that stop you from naming a suitable cam (but I can't afford over that)

Do you have any thoughts on Sanyo? Other brands you prefer?

Lets be honest here, those cameras are crap. For 400$ get a Nikon D40 w/ a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Your going to need a DSLR if you want to get serious. The point and shoots wont cut it, your going to blow 400 bucks on a P&S and realize you need a DSLR.

Do you want to get into photography?

Edit - see below :lol:

Last edited:
Lets be honest here, those cameras are crap. For 400$ get a Nikon D40 w/ a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Your going to need a DSLR if you want to get serious. The point and shoots wont cut it, your going to blow 400 bucks on a P&S and realize you need a DSLR.

Thanks for the advice, that is a better brand, but I don't get it the camera you recommended has only 6 MP, how is that better? Also, no video on this camera, right?

I am reading the specs from Amazon, are they accurate?:
Amazon.com: Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens: Electronics

What does DSLR stand for?
I just want to take good pics of family/friends and have video capabilities for basketball games and mic to pickup singing and video casting.

Thanks for the advice, that is a better brand, but I don't get it the camera you recommended has only 6 MP, how is that better? Also, no video on this camera, right?

I am reading the specs from Amazon, are they accurate?:
Amazon.com: Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens: Electronics

What does DSLR stand for?
I just want to take good pics of family/friends and have video capabilities for basketball games and mic to pickup singing and video casting.

Yes those are the correct specs, the D40 wont take video. Theres a difference between a camcorder and a dslr. My d90 takes video but dslrs that have video start from 800$. Megapixels are not the definition of quality on a camera. DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. You need to do some more research.

Anyone got a link to what megapixels are? Im way to lazy. :lol:

Unles you are blowing up shots for billboards, MP's are mostly a marketing ploy to get you to buy a newer (more $$) camera that you may not really need. More MP's makes you want it....

In prints 8.5" X 11" you won't see any noticeable difference between 6MP and 10MP.

I use a 2MP Fuji P&S to take 8.5" x 11" all the time for my business notebook I use to show my customers and they are fine.

You won't get any usable video functions in a DSLR unless you go D90 or similiar, up towards $1,000.00

Here is another thread from TPF where all images in here have been taken with a Nikon D40. There are some amazing shots in that thread for being taken with a D40.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lery/182989-post-your-nikon-d40-pictures.html

Even if you were to spend all of your $400 on a camcorder to get the video function you want, it isn't going to be very good.

Why do you need video on a DSLR? Why not get a camcorder? Get one that you can print one individual frame from.

I am not gonna take your photo with my cellphone, and not gonna call you on my camera...

Personally, I'd ignore some of the DSLR comments. Of course nothing but larger format cameras with have the quality of DSLR's but really the G10 or G11 will make you a very happy man. I believe they have they have HD video (my friend has one) and their image quality is matched to DSLRs, I didn't believe it at first, but its about there. The only thing you lose is the versatility of lenses but hey, you have video, GREAT image quality, and its much more portable

Also, you mentioned you wanted 10+ megapixels. I hope you realize that the nikon d40 is 6 megapixels for a reason. 6 megapixels will easily print a 8x11.5 page of photo. Those 14 megapixel cameras make me ask God why it has to be this way. With more pixels you get more noise on those tiny sensors. These days you can't get it that way though.

My advice, go to the canon usa website. They have plenty of cameras for under $300 that match the specs of what you want and they are the best point and shoots on the market. As long as you aren't hoping to go into ultra-serious photography, grab a point and shoot. If you aren't fully set on going there, I recommend the G10 all the way. An overall, fantastic camera

G victor - I would select a main stream camera. Don't buy that odd ball Sanyo camera that nobody have ever heard of before! Buy a Canon camera if you want a Point n Shoot with video capabilities.

Why do you need video on a DSLR? Why not get a camcorder? Get one that you can print one individual frame from.

I am not gonna take your photo with my cellphone, and not gonna call you on my camera...

Thanks for the great insight on MP--I was unaware of this and will no longer look for 10+ MP.

As far as why I'm looking for a combo unit: I don't have a lot of money to spend and I want both features (photo/video) equally. Also I feel the convenience of having one unit do it all is a good thing. But I understand the sentiment behind your "cellphone/camera" comparison.

What do you guys think of the Kodak Zi8
Amazon.com: Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera (Black) NEWEST MODEL: Electronics
It has HD Video, 5 MP digital camera, and an external Mic. The only problem is, it doesn't have a foldout LCD and it will be very shaky because it is hard to hold steady. Any insight you can give is much appreciated.

Personally, I'd ignore some of the DSLR comments. Of course nothing but larger format cameras with have the quality of DSLR's but really the G10 or G11 will make you a very happy man. I believe they have they have HD video (my friend has one) and their image quality is matched to DSLRs, I didn't believe it at first, but its about there. The only thing you lose is the versatility of lenses but hey, you have video, GREAT image quality, and its much more portable
Thank you good points. But with my finances and considering what you and other say about the relative unimportance of megapixel rating, I will set the bar lower than 10.

I will check out canon's site thanks for the recommendation. My brother has a SD780is and he loves it (but I want external mic and LCD flip out screen.

G victor - I would select a main stream camera. Don't buy that odd ball Sanyo camera that nobody have ever heard of before! Buy a Canon camera if you want a Point n Shoot with video capabilities.

OK as I said to the poster above, I will look at their site and shop around for the best prices.

Thanks to everyone here for your help you guys are great. This is the best forum. I have asked around in a lot of places, the only help is from here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back