PLEASE HELP me recover deleted files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive heard that you can retrieve deleted files from cf cards??
I did a shoot yesterday and forgot to clear and format one of the cards beforehand... so I fired away and took about 15 shots and the card was full.... it was a hike back to the car so i decided to "erase all" :confused:then cancel hoping to wipe the first part of the card but I ... also deleted most of the 15. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I really want to retrieve these.
Does anyone please know how to help me. I use sandisk compact flash UltraII cards and shoot with a 5D if that is of any significance.
Last night i downloaded a free retrieval program... PC INSPECTOR but it seems to only retrieve deleted files on my PC not off the card

I am reallllllllllllllllllllly hoping some of you talents may be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance, jemma x:blushing:

The most important thing is to not use the card at all if you want to recover files.

If you use a card reader, you can tell PC Inspector to look in that location - not sure if that workd when it's connected to the camera as it might not show as another drive

back again. i am hoping that i never do this again so decided to look for a trial version of image recovery software... that way, if i did do it again, i would go back and buy it. so i found this one http://http://www.mediarecover.com/digital_image_recovery_windows.html
and i CANT work it out. do i need a card reader???? or can i just plug my camera in to the usb port as usual?? if anyone has a spare minute and could help me with this i would GREATLY appreciate it.
oh, and i forgot to add that after i deleted them, i shot more images over the top.... are the originals still there somewhere and are they recoverable. sorry for all the questions but i really need help.... i think there were some hot shots in there. xx cheers x jem

Well, if you want to rescue data that have been deleted from a CF card, then you need to download and install a freeware for file recovery. You can get Recuva, for instance. Launch it and select the compact flash drive from the dropdown menu. Then, click on Scan to start scanning your flash drive for the deleted files. Once the scan was completed, you will be provided with a list of deleted files. Choose the files that you want to retrieve and click on Recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the intervening 4 years I'll bet they got it sorted, but thanks for dredging this old, long dead thread back up.

As far as the OP's last question from 4 years back: "after i deleted them, i shot more images over the top.... are the originals still there somewhere and are they recoverable." Any originals that weren't overwriten were still intact and recoverable.

Overwritting is tantamount to erasing. When an image is deleted on a card, it is not erased. What happens is the range of memory locations that are used to record that image are flagged as again available for overwriting the in the memory card's FAT (File Allocation Table). Note that formatting a card does essentially the same thing as deleting an image, it updates the FAT Ok-to-overwrite flags.

Jemmy, there are plenty of Data Recovery Software available on net which provides photo recovery from CF Card. You should search a read-only recovery utility that recovers files from formatted CF Cards.

Wish you best of luck!

Hey
I remember I did the same thing last month but thanks to my friend he used some recovery software to recover deleted file.

Jemmy, there are plenty of Data Recovery Software available on net which provides photo recovery from CF Card. You should search a read-only recovery utility that recovers files from formatted CF Cards.
Jemmy hasn't visited TPF in a while: Last Activity 07-23-2009, and had her problem 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back