Please help me understand what I need...

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by kramerica, Jul 20, 2010.

1. kramerica

kramerica TPF Noob!

After 5 years with my nice SLR-like P&S, I feel that it's time for a significant upgrade.
    I enjoy taking photos, and image quality is very important for me, but I wouldn't call my self a photography hobbyist. I take my camera to trips and vacations, and on those occasions, I'm willing to make the effort in order to get the best photos possible. I'm also not afraid to learn new things about the camera, I've spent a lot of time in the past with my current camera learning the basics of photography and mastering its vast manual controls.

My dilemma is between another SLR-like P&S (i.e Panasonic FZ-35) and a entry-level DSLR.
    I'm willing to pay the extra $ required, but I also need the simplicity of a single lens super-zoom with at least P&S quality on auto settings. I think that my question is basically: Is there a DSLR + single lens combination that would give me the same or close to X18-X20 zoom of the P&S but also with the 24-27mm equivalent on the wide side, with IS on the lens/sensor, and all that for ~1200$?

As a side note I'd like to say that reading my own post makes me want to write myself: "DSLR isn't for you, stay with P&S...", but the thing is that I see myself in the near future evolving with the hobby and taking it up a notch with special lenses and other accessories, but I also need that at any given time I could take it with me mounted with the single lens, and it would perform on auto settings better than any cheaper P&S.

Thanks a lot for reading, is there anything like that available?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure there is a combination of DSLR camera & lens that will fit your criteria.
    For example, you could buy an entry level Canon DSLR (550D or 1000D), maybe around $600 and then add a lens like the EF-S 18-200mm.

That would give you what you say you want, plus give you the ability to add more/better lenses when you can.

The only issue, for me, would be the quality of the lens. When they design a lens to have such a wide zoom range, compromises have to be made to image quality. It's still as good or probably better than something in the 'SLR-like' category, but it's not nearly as good as what is available with a shorter zoom range.

3. subscuck

subscuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
    Photos OK to edit
    If you're already using "manual" controls on your P&S (I assume you mean Av, Tv, etc.), that will transfer directly to an SLR. The above mentioned EF-S 18-200 IS isn't a bad lens. Not great, but better than the kit lenses. It's a slow lens, but the IS helps a lot with that. If you only want to get your feet a little wet, the 1000D (AKA Rebel XS) Big Mike mentioned, with the 18-200 IS would certainly fit the bill for around $1100US. It'll also come with the 18-55 IS, which is a decent lens, tho not quite as good as the 18-200.

4. Sparky1358

Sparky1358 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went from a coolpix 5700 to a d40 to a d90 in a span of 4 years. Work your way up which you are doing but realize if you buy too low you will outgrow that as well. For me the D90 is perfect for my needs. Takes great pictures and still has the dummy modes for when I just want to shoot some quick pics of the kids.

The D500 shares alot of the same components as the D90. Also the D90 is due for replacement fairly soon so may want to wait for that to be announced and then pick up a d90 on the cheap as a camera you can grow with.