please help me with my portfolio

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by youyesyou, Jul 6, 2004.

1. youyesyou

youyesyou TPF Noob!

i've been trying to put together a portfolio lately. i've discovered (as many of your probably have too) that it's not an easy task. i usually can't decide on anything because i end up having second thoughts on a picture or i have a picture that i shot a long time ago and it's no longer interesting to me (though it may be interesting to others).

so this is what i need help on: i basically need to decide on five pictures for now. i will obviously add to the portfolio as i take more pictures, but for now, i think five is good enough for the level i'm at. i'm basically just trying to get started on it now, as i want to try to get into an art college next year once i get out of high school. so please, if you will, tell me which five of these pictures you like the most. it will help me more than you will ever know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG that's a lot of pictures to sort though...i know :shock:. i won't blame you for not wanting to go through all those, but if you would, it would mean a whole lot to me.

thanks a bunch.

2. rangefinder

rangefinder TPF Noob!

Good stuff. I could only edit out a few. Here are the ones I would keep for further consideration:

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 14, 17. 18

Good luck!

3. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

IMHO #'s = 3, 6, 7, 17 and 18 but remember the comparison between opinions and armpits (especially in my case!).

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't quite understand the allusion to opinions and armpits, but I can say that I only judge out of personal preferences here, too (which I think is what it is meant to say).

I like photos with few but very clear, very contrasted colours. That for one determined my decision (and I made it my task to really decide on only 5 out of these 17). And I am a sucker for diagonal lines that go right through a picture.

Which made me go for Photo No. 1 immediately.

No. 3 appeals to me for almost the same reasons, plus I like the fact that something so "unattractive" as a rain pipe is given an attraction of its own. So framing, colours and motiv do it for me in this one.

No. 7 is once again a "few-colours-only"+"very-simple-motif"-photo, and I just like it. Plus I like the macro aspect of this one.

No. 13 again speaks to me through the crispness of the colours and the simplicity of the motif, though I do see that part of the "flag"(-rag) is pretty blown out. That is a technical detail which might speak against choosing this one (or you'd have to work further on this little flaw).

And last I decided in favour of No. 17 because again there are only few colours, but the wonderful blue of the reflected sky - the motif is unusual, and the rainwater looks like clear icing here on the rough surface - like I said: my reasons for choosing these are purely personal and emotional.

This is not to say that I do not like the other photos!
    The humour of Photo No. 4 has been discussed here before, the colours of No. 6 are very nice, too, the cloud formation in No. 8 is stunning, and the blurred hustle and bustle in No. 11 nearly made me choose that one to be one of my Personal Top Five.

And I could praise the others, too, but the task was to decide on five and I did.

5. StvShoop

StvShoop TPF Noob!

don't think that'll be a problem!

3,4,6,10,11,15, (5,16,17, only one out of these three, the subject matter is too similar for my likes). that's more than 5 man, lots of em are fabulous. 3 is my favorite

is it a photography school or all arts? good job getting started on your portfolio early, you know what you're doing.

6. Dekz

Dekz TPF Noob!

There's way too many that I liked for me to narrow it down to five. But I can tell you that I liked 8, 9, 12, 13, and 15 the least.

7. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Overall great shots. My faves if I have to pick 5 are 1,2,5,16 and 17. Just cause they appeal to me.

8. ShutterBug4_4

ShutterBug4_4 TPF Noob!

First of all , I don't think you'll have trouble getting into an art school! All of these photos are great. My 5 favorite shots are #1, 3, 16, 17, 18. Great work, keep it up!

9. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 12, 19

More than 5 but still narrowed down. Good Luck!

10. rnc

rnc TPF Noob!

just my opinion...i m only a rookie but i think w/ greater contrast, it would turn out better.....darker...

11. rnc

rnc TPF Noob!

just my opinion...i m only a rookie but i think w/ greater contrast, it would turn out better.....darker...

12. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

#1 is good
    #7 rocks
    #10 is a superb shot. Really unique for a macro flower shot.
    #15 is good
    #16 is great for the textures
    #17 is good
    #18 is a great composition, I'm not sure if I care for how bold the contrast is. Maybe as a b&w I'd like it better

If I had to choose 5? #7, #10, #16, #17, #18