Please Help! Picking a Canon DSLR...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Flur, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Flur

Flur TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've decided to get a new camera and am looking for a Canon. I want to get the best camera in my price range. As I'm a hobby photographer I shoot all different kinds of things in different environments, different lighting, etc., and this will be my primary camera. I do have professional aspirations, but I'm still learning the craft. I currently have a Rebel 2000 35mm camera that I love, but it's film and I prefer digital, and I have an SD1000 Elph that I take everywhere.

I'm looking at the new 50D and the current 5D, which I've found online at a huge discount (probably b/c the new 5D MkII is coming out soon). The 5D has a full frame sensor but the technology is 3 years old and I know Canon has made a lot of improvements (better at higher ISO, self-cleaning sensor, better chip, etc.). I was leaning towards the 50D to get the current technology, but then I learned a little more about the lenses and that lenses will seem different on the smaller sensor than what I'm used to with the 35mm. I don't have a big lens collection to transfer over, but either way I go I'd want to eventually upgrade later, and that camera will almost definitely have a full frame sensor. I'd hate to have to buy all new lenses later on.

So now I'm at a loss. Do I go for the full frame sensor, or the new technology? Ultimately I just want great pictures and to have fun taking them.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

A lot of people have faced the same decision.

There is nothing wrong with the 5D, it's a great camera but it does sometimes suck to buy older technology when newer stuff is already available.

You can still use any of your current lenses with a 'crop sensor' camera...they will just feel longer than you are used to. You could get a wide angle lens to make up the difference, then maybe sell it when you eventually do move up to a full frame digital body.
    You could even consider something like the Rebel XSi, which is said to have outstanding image quality...it's just a smaller, more basic body than something like the 50D. You could put the savings toward a top quality lens or two.

It's really up to you...it's probably going to be a compromise, one way or the other.

3. danjchau

danjchau TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    -------------

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know nothing of Canon, but your comment of "huge discount online" set off alarm bells. Be sure to check out any stores here before ordering: http://www.resellerratings.com/

5. Flur

Flur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Andrew for posting the reseller ratings site. The site I was looking at WAS a scam site. I did still find a great price through Amazon on a used 5D from a high-rated company, so I'm still considering it.

So I want to make sure I understand how the lenses will work with a cropped sensor. If I like a 50mm lens on my film camera, I would need to get a 35 mm lens to have a similar result with a cropped sensor? And if I want all my lenses to be transferable I'd just avoid lenses marked for cropped sensors - is that all EF-S lenses, meaning I should only get EF lenses?

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, that is pretty much correct.

7. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a "crop" Canon, lens (35mm) multiply 1.6 ... 35*1.6=56mm

"EF-S" will not work with FF

"EF" works with all current Canon DSLRs I believe