Please help with camera purchase guide

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by xanthos, Mar 11, 2008.

1. xanthos

xanthos TPF Noob!

Hello I am new to the whole photography thing. I currently have a Sony DSC-V1 camera. I have noticed with my 7 year old starting to do activities that the camera can not take a moving picture without blurring the picture. I may have the camera setup totally wrong and I have read the book but stilll no clue to what ISO and noise means and such. Basically I am looking for opinions on what to buy that is around $500 or so that I can take decent pictures without the pictures being blurry. There is a huge delay on my current camera so when I want to take a action picture, its too late by the time the camera snaps. I dont need some fancy professional camera just something nice that will do the job I need done. Thanks in advance.

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The biggest bang for the buck is the Nikon D40. From what you've written, you'll need only one lens, the one included with the kit:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

By the way, "ISO" is sensitivity to light. Higher numbers mean more sensitivity (i.e., less light required for a good picture). However, there ain't no free lunch --- higher sensitivity results in more electrical noise. Are you old enough to remember "snow" on a television?

3. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it sounds to me like your shutter speed is too slow
    does your camera have a mode wheel or a system similar that says TV on it?

4. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you looking for a Point and Shoot or a DSLR? I assume you are looking for a Point and Shoot so let us know a bit more of what your needs are or which of two you are looking for. For what you want to spend and from what you have I think you would probably stay with a very good P&S and ease of use.

5. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't need a new camera, just follow these instructions and your will have perfectly sharp pictures.

1. Turn the knob on the top right of your camera to the S setting.

2. Turn the black dial beside the screen till the yellow number with an arrow on the screen become 200.

3. Take pictures of your kids and enjoy the pics.

4. If they are still blurry, raise the yellow number (shutter speed) to something even higher.

Hope this helps.

6. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bear in mind that some persons use a DSLR as a high quality P&S and, in fact, that was my thought in recommending the D40.

7. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I got why you would, but for some people for size weight and other mitigating issues some are just as well to stay with P&S. Why I asked for more info on what they are looking for, either way don't think they give enough info one way or the other, too general of a question.

8. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good point.

9. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I still don't think you need a new camera. Fix the blurriness using the instructions I posted earlier. As for shutter lag, its ver low on the DSC-V1 from what I read (just 0.5 secs with autofocus). If you want even more speed, focus manually, with just 0.1 sec shutter lag. Thats as fast as it gets.

10. xanthos

xanthos TPF Noob!

I will look into the suggestions here. My current camera may be setup wrong. There is at least a 5 second delay on my current DSC-V1 camera. I have red eye turned on. I don't really know the difference between what a DSLR or a point and shoot camera is. Sorry I am a newbie and the camera stuff.

11. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, something is definitely wrong with your setup if you have 5 second lag. It should be 1/10th that (0.5 seconds).

12. xanthos

xanthos TPF Noob!

my camera does not have a T on the top dial

[​IMG]