PLEASE HELP WITH CANON AE-1P!

phillll

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i m new to photography so i got my canon ae - 1 program yesterday when messing with it today i pressed the button on the bottom so you can wind the film and it wont come undone so the shutter will go and also the shutter curtain is like jammed halfway any advice about what todo

Would you beleive I did the same exact thing when I first got my camera? It's the old 'what does this button do?' syndrom.

This button will not re-set unless you open the back cover. Rewind if there is any film in there, then pop her open. That is the button you must push before rewinding the film, it releases the spool on the right hand side. Now we know! :p

Here's a link you will find very helpful. :)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1pgrm/html/index.htm

PS, if you ever find out what the bottom of the two buttons next to the lense does, let me know, lol.

In a pinch, you could find a black closet or room with no windows or light leaks (bottom of the door frame). Then pop it open without rewinding. Doesn't always work (you might overlap a few shots), but its something to try if you've only just started the roll.

Be sure to mention the condition of the roll if you take it to a lab to get it developed. That way, they'll have the best chance of saving any images after the accident.

Jess: The second button (black with a silver collar) is the Exposure Preview switch. It does exactly the same thing as pushing the shutter release half way. The top one is AE lock.

Rogue Monk said:
Jess: The second button (black with a silver collar) is the Exposure Preview switch. It does exactly the same thing as pushing the shutter release half way. The top one is AE lock.

Well thank you! I've scoured all the documents I have on the camera and never figured that out. I'm awefully dissapointed though, I thought it was going to be a bit more powerful then that. But that explains why I got the same display with that button as with the AE lock.

Jess said:
Well thank you! I've scoured all the documents I have on the camera and never figured that out. I'm awefully dissapointed though, I thought it was going to be a bit more powerful then that. But that explains why I got the same display with that button as with the AE lock.

When I first got my AE-1Program, I googled "Canon AE-1 Program Manual" and found quite a bit.

I wouldn't advise rewinding the film unless you are nearly done. Make a note of the counter reading (so you know how many shots you have left). Close your curtains, get under the duvet (preferably at night) and then just pop the back and close it again. This will probably reset the counter, but otherwise, you can continue as normal one frame on.

FWIW, I did that with my AE-1 (not the P version) and all I had to do was advance the film to the next frame and it reset it'self. May be different with the "P" version but that way you only loose one frame. Try it out?

well i fixed the shutter curtain but , the shutter wont go , i have no film in there i just presed the button because im stupid, and i cant pull the film advance thing be cause it wont move, what happend was, i advandced the film and then pressed the button , so now i cant advance it any more and release the button causing the shutter not to fire. sorry if this dosnt make much sense

Sorry it didn't work. If it does need repair I have found www.keh.com very good. That's where I sent my AE-1 a couple of months ago when it crapped out. When it came back it was just like new.

phillll said:
how much do you think it would cost me

Hard to say but they have a basic "qoate" function on the site when you login. You fill out a form and it gives you a qoate for the amount. Not always what the end charges can be.

For my AE-1 (which needed new foam around the mirror, basic overhaul, total lube, and the mirror was locking up so no film advance....) the total cost was about $125. That is approximately what you could buy a used on from Cameta or any of the other places. I figured it was just as good to get mine back in "like new" condition so I didnt mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back