Please help with choosing a camera?

FataOrgana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here as well as to the world of photography. I've always had a passion for taking a good picture, and I truly enjoy trying to capture the moment. I feel I have a pretty good eye for it. I've never used anything outside of fairly high end point and shoots, or my smart phones. Though I have gotten some great photos this way, I know much better quality can be found in pictures taken with a DSLR camera. I'm looking into purchasing one now, and hoping I could get some advice here. I'm sure there are hundreds of these type of threads so I'm sorry, I couldn't find a search feature and I am too impatient to click through lots of pages. :x

I want something nice and high quality, but I am a beginner. I'm a quick learner though. :) I would mostly be taking portraits, family and kid pictures and such, with maybe a bit of nature/landscapes mixed in. I was looking at Canons and Nikons, many with great reviews, but can't tell which would be best for me and why.

Along with that, what are the absolute necessary lenses I'd need to buy as well? Extra equipment? Accessories? Computer programs for editing? Any other advice?

Thank you so much!!

Decide how much money you wish to spend. Then, decide how you wish to actually carry the camera: pocket, jacket pocket,purse,camera bag, or shoulder carry. The way a camera can be carried determines its size and weight. a BIG shoulder-carry camera like a Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4 is the total opposite of a shirt-pocketable compact camera. After deciding on the budget, and how large/heavy a camera, start looking in the appropriate price range.

Thanks for the reply! :) It can be a larger camera as I already have pretty decent pocket sized devices that I use for snapping anytime pictures. So the larger type carried in a camera bag is probably what I'm after, so that I can try my hand at some more planned out, quality shoots. I would prefer to keep my spending total under $2k.

I did have my eye on maybe a Canon Rebel, or one of the Nikons such as 3200/3300/5200 etc what are the differences in those how do I know which one I would want? Which is best? I have a lot to learn, I know.

If you want to learn photography, and don't care for video, I'd go with the Fuji XT-1. Why? Because all the controls are easily accessible via marked dial on the body or lens, so you don't need to fidget through annoying and obtuse digital menu. You don't even have to turn the camera ON to see all the important information at a single glance. There's a very nice selection of lens for that system as well.
If you insist on DLSR for some reasons, I wouldn't go below a nikon D7100 or D7200, and comparable Canon, because the controls are so annoying on the entry level that very few ever get passed auto mode, and consequently learn very little.

Well ... define "best" ?

In my eyes the Canon 1Dx and the Nikon D4s are specialized cameras for sports/action shooters, or maybe journalists in general. They are "get your photograph under all conditions" cameras, with the most rugged build of any camera. The Nikon D4s is whats used on the ISS, but thats just because of tradition; NASA could just as well use the Canon 1Dx instead, but that would require replacing all the lenses too.

One step below, the Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D810 are maybe the best general DSLRs right now, if ultimate build quality isnt the issue. The 5D Mark III just got a brother with high Megapixel count (5Ds and 5Ds R) and will probably soon see a successor.

Well ... define "best" ?

In my eyes the Canon 1Dx and the Nikon D4s are specialized cameras for sports/action shooters, or maybe journalists in general. They are "get your photograph under all conditions" cameras, with the most rugged build of any camera. The Nikon D4s is whats used on the ISS, but thats just because of tradition; NASA could just as well use the Canon 1Dx instead, but that would require replacing all the lenses too.

One step below, the Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D810 are maybe the best general DSLRs right now, if ultimate build quality isnt the issue. The 5D Mark III just got a brother with high Megapixel count (5Ds and 5Ds R) and will probably soon see a successor.

You're talking about spending 3 to 6 thousand dollars..........

I did have my eye on maybe a Canon Rebel, or one of the Nikons such as 3200/3300/5200 etc what are the differences in those how do I know which one I would want? Which is best? I have a lot to learn, I know.

..........when the OP has mentioned looking at cameras in a considerably lower price range.

For 2k you can do great.

One good example for your money-

Nikon d7100 with kit 18-105, 50mm f1.8, yongnuo yn 568 flash, any solid tripod for approx 100 Euro, a suitable bag prob 60 dollars, a pair good sd cards.
you should have change to get a zoom such as a 55-300mm Nikon also if you like to get close to farther object.
Lightroom is a great software in my opinion but is 100 ish dollars, there are free programs such as picassa, or very often photo magazines give last year's software products for free.

The Nikon d7100 is last year's model still for sale. It's very high spec, the 18-105 kit is very flexible for day to day. The 50mm is a fast prime that's excellent for portraits on this camera and allows lower light shooting. A flash extends your creative possibilities.

There are other brands and other options, this is not necessarily the best, but is a good reference point

A similar set up in Canon speak would be the Canon 70d with its 18-135 stm kit, a 50mm f1.8 stm with tamron 70-300mm vc . Include flashgun tripod and an sd card with bag and accessories as above.

In absolute terms the Nikon probably shades the Canon for image quality, but if you like video and want an easier camera to use (it has touch screen and better video focus), the Canon 70d is a great option. 70d image quality is also great

My first DSLR was a Rebel. And soon after I learn more about photography and camera gears in general, I do not like the way it works in entry level DSLR cameras. In order to change some settings, I need to do it via the menu system. So I upgraded my camera to the next step up that include top display and control as well as 2 wheels system (for control). And that made my life easier.

So that is one of the main difference between entry level DSLR and prosumer or professional camera body. However, prosumer and pro camera body weight is usually heavier.

You're talking about spending 3 to 6 thousand dollars when the OP has mentioned looking at cameras in a considerably lower price range.
I wasnt answering the OP, I was answering the posting directly above mine.

You can't go wrong with a Nikon or Canon entry-level DSLR. Just invest in a $200 lens with a f/1.8 aperture to go along with the 18-55mm kit it usually comes with (either the 35mm or 50mm are very popular). With those lenses, you will definitely see a difference from the point-and-shoot results.
Some kits also come with the 55-200mm lens, which can also be very useful.

I started with a Nikon D5100 and loved it.

Both lines are "entry level" DSLRs but I've heard that the sensors in the Nikons are of a later design, therefore will perform better.

While both makes offer quality cameras and accessories, one way to help you decide is for you to visit a store to handle both makes to see which seem more comfortable or more ergonomically designed to you, personally. Pick them up, finger the buttons, put the viewfinder to your eye, and if there is a battery and memory card, snap a few pics in the store. Whichever one feels better in your hand, get that one.

If you want to learn photography, and don't care for video, I'd go with the Fuji XT-1. Why? Because all the controls are easily accessible via marked dial on the body or lens, so you don't need to fidget through annoying and obtuse digital menu. You don't even have to turn the camera ON to see all the important information at a single glance. There's a very nice selection of lens for that system as well.
If you insist on DLSR for some reasons, I wouldn't go below a nikon D7100 or D7200, and comparable Canon, because the controls are so annoying on the entry level that very few ever get passed auto mode, and consequently learn very little.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I can't speak for Fuji, but the entry level Nikon 3000 and 5000 series are very good cameras. They will take every bit as good of pictures as the 7000 series.
Where do you poll the results that "very few ever get passed the auto mode and consequently learn very little" ?? That's not anywhere close to factual information.

Most reactions

Back