Please help with Rebel XT 'L' size photo ??

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Help I'm pulling my hair out..
I just got a digi picture frame (Samsung).
I loaded up some pictures onto an SD card some from my Canon S3 and some from the Rebel.
The ones from the S3 are displayed beautifully on the screen filling it, then the Rebel ones there is about a 1/2 inch line along the top and again on the bottom, if I click fit to screen on the frame then of course all my portrait shots get screwed up..
I can batch edit all the Rebel ones if I have too but I can't even find a fix to help this..
I'm so sad because the S3 ones look really good and all my new Rebel pictures look small and crap..
Please be nice I started work at 5am so I'm really tired and frustrated right now.. :confused:

Oh and I guess the XT is 8mp and the S3 was 6mp so if any were going to show up bigger I would have thought it would have been the XT.. but ohhh nooo lol

I'm thinking it's because of the aspect ratio of the two images. The xt is 16:9 (iirc), where as the s3 is probably a standard 35mm aspect ration (4:3?). Find out the display resolution of the frame, like 900x1024, 800x600, etc...and crop the xt files to that size and they should show up correctly.

The sensor in almost all DSLR's (thank you Olympus) are 16:9, so for example, you can print off an 8x12 without cropping anything, where as if the s3 is like 35mm film, it's print dimension for that size would be 8x10.

Sounds like you need to crop your images to the size of the frame.

your SLR has a 3:2 ratio photo but your S3 and frame doesn't

To make your photos from your SLR fit you need to crop the photos in photoshop or whatever program you use

Ok i'm still screaming.. lol..
My S3 pics are 1600x1200 and my REbel are 3456x2304

So if I make my Rebel pictures 1600x1200 in a mass batch edit.. lol.. will I be loosing quality when they are displayed in the frame or does that have nothing to do with it whatsoever as long as I keep the dpi at 350.

I would like to say I HAVE tried making the Rebel picture into a 1600x1200 and it does infact fit perfectly just like the S3.. whoop so my standing question is really only about the quality now..

Thanks guys I was almost in tears because the S3 pics looked so great and my new love Rebel pics looked so shameful because of the size...

Edited to add,, who was it that suggested a Digital Frame in my "what do you do with the pictures you want to keep thread"?? It's all your fault.. haha

if you resize your pics to 1600x1200 you will end up with distorted photos, you need to crop off some of your shots if you want them to fill the frame.

it doesn't matter one bit what the DPI is if your only putting them on the frame, just make sure that you crop to the size of the frame

if you resize your pics to 1600x1200 you will end up with distorted photos, you need to crop off some of your shots if you want them to fill the frame.

it doesn't matter one bit what the DPI is if your only putting them on the frame, just make sure that you crop to the size of the frame

That is a nightmare, I'm going to try the easy way right now 1600x1200 and if it doesn't look good at all I'm going to take the frame back manually cropping all my pictures will never happen :(

But thanks at least I will expect the distortion now instead of finding out as a suprise.. :meh:

I'm going to try locking the aspect ratio it's a little off but the pictures should hold their shape

I'm still thinking this through one of the main reasons I bought this was to somewhat preserve the pictures on another disk if I chop them up or make them into 1600x1200 then I wont be preserving them at all, I'm thinking I may just NOT put any portrait shots on it and then just say fit to screen, although some recent ones of my boys were especially nice.. oh well!
Can't spend my life doing this I have pictures to take.. !!

I don't know too much about digital frames, but most monitors only display a resolution of 72 ppi, so it is not likely you will loose quality by resizing.

If you crop with photoshop, you can set the height to width ratio in the options bar, so it is very quick and easy to resize your pictures.

OK i'm done I went through countless possibilities I ended up just taking out the portraits and then sizing to screen and the pictures look perfectly fine.
That's it I'm moving on I backed up a ton of pictures on different drives in different folders and I ended up getting totally confused with what I had done,, this little project took me 6 hours.. ugh!
(If I could have let the portraits go at the beginning I'm thinking half an hour tops but at least I know now :) )

Now I actually get to look at it it is beautiful the colors are fantastic.. it's pretty awesome even if I do say so myself :)

One thing I have found with digital shots is that when you resize the shots you lose quality of sharpness in the shot. I find running the unsharpen mask over the shots (something like 50-100% amount with 0.8 radius - radius never changes, but the amount differse from shot to shot) to bring back the original sharpness of the shot.
Might be a bit late now that you have gone through the whole lot - but its something to consider in the future ;)
(or something to do on a rainy day)

Another advantage for 4:3 systems.....

Do yourself a favor and crop the pictures, do not resize them they will look horrible...

Most reactions

Back