Please Help!

Pumpedupkicks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am Braeden I am 20 and I am from Tennessee and I am looking for a 120 film camera my budget is 100 I am looking for something like the kiev 88. I love photography and looking to get more into film. Who can help?

Have you checked at KEH.com? They are one of the largest used/vintage camera dealers in the country.

KEH doesn't have anything within that budget.

Try your local Craigslist, both for a listed camera or even post there with a Want To Buy ad. Who knows?

Call the local schools in your area.... maybe they have an old MF camera laying around they don't use any more. Also check into a local camera club.. maybe a member has one they're willing to part with.

He's already gotten one. This was a duplicate thread that was never closed, and he's already started another one with questions about and samples from the 210 he got. It's around here somewhere...

EDIT: Ignore me. I didn't read the OP. There was another thread just like this a few weeks ago asking about Land Cameras and I thought it had been resurrected. I then noticed that this was posted today and now I see he's asking for a medium-format camera. My bad!

Try this. Not only will you get the money you need for all kinds of gear, you'll be able to photograph in parts of the world most people never get to see.

You're not going to get any major medium-format gear for $100. At that price point. You can get something like a Lubitel TLR (twin-lens reflex) or a Ciroflex (also a TLR).

You're not going to get any major medium-format gear for $100. At that price point. You can get something like a Lubitel TLR (twin-lens reflex) or a Ciroflex (also a TLR).

the best deal i got on a MF camera was a Mamiya 645 1000s with prism finder, 80mm f/2.8, 120 and 220 backs for $200.

Yup, the medium-format SLRs are still a couple of hundred at best for body and lenses. (That was a good deal for the 645!) TLRs are a better bet to get into medium-format for less initial investment. Or a Holga ;)

You may also look around at some pon shops, they may not know what they have. Your average guy doesn't want film cameras anymore, I've known people that have gotten some good deals that way! Good luck! :)

Yeah, the easiest way to get into medium format is the twin lens reflex route. The Yashica 635 is probably the least-expensive "good and reliable" Yashica model. The Yashica-Mat 124 and 124-G are newer, and will cost more. Not sure what the Chinese-made Seagull models are bringing on the used market today, but the Seagull models are at least 20 years newer than 'most' Yashica models are likely to be.

Back in the 1950's there were literally several dozen small-company-made 120 twin lens reflexes; from what I recall, over 55 diferent models were made in the 1950's decade alone, and some of them were VERY inexpensive when new, and are pretty much cheapies today.TLR cameras were almost a cottage industry in post-WWII Japan, from what I have read. One very affordable and widely-sold 1950's/early 1960's TLR that comes to mind is the Super Ricohflex, by Ricoh; I own one, a 1958 model. Very low-rent build; red window film advance and not geared with mechanical frame counter advance; cheap yet adequate lens; manual shutter cocking; limited range of shutter speeds, topping out at 1/200 second as I recall. Now, those types of 1950's and 1960's medium format TLRs are still cheap; just make sure they are in good working condition.

The thing is, with a negative as large as was made by most TLR's, absolute lens quality was not that high a priority to achieve decent images.

Yup, the medium-format SLRs are still a couple of hundred at best for body and lenses. (That was a good deal for the 645!) TLRs are a better bet to get into medium-format for less initial investment. Or a Holga ;)

we had a rolleiflex 3.5E TLR for many years. eventually sold it for $300.

My boyfriend found a working Rolleiflex in a junk shop for $25. :aiwebs_016: But otherwise they still tend to be more expensive than most other TLRs.

You also may want to check some antique stores, they also may not know what they have. :)

Most reactions

Back