Please help!

we're posting simultaneously :) was referring to df3photo's post.
there's so many variables it is really hard to dissect and disseminate everything without being there with you.

It's all a lot of trial and error.

I just wish I had time for trial and error. Unfortunately this thing is due Monday. And I only have 2 hours between now and then to do it. I would give anything for a friend with studio equip right now so that I could have more time to practice!!

The funny thing about the "High-Key-TPF-Assignment" photos is that almost none of them are studio photography, but - like in my case - taken in the living room with the slide-viewing screen as background, a halogen worklight as one light source (giving the very yellow light, which I only found out upon using it, or AFTER the photos were taken ;)) and the light coming out of my slide projector as the whiter and brighter other light source. Heehee. I really did not know what I was doing, only tried to meet the idea of the assignment (thankfully our TPF assignments are only for fun and not for school, which makes the whole difference).

And yes, I allowed my daughter to make up her eyes to make them pop. (Figuratively spoken! In the photo only!!! :shock: )
Didn't know that that was not admissible in High Key.
Is it?
What does your professor say about that?

We can use make-up...I had my sis put on some eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick, only my sis doesnt usually wear make-up and she does not put it one very dark.

I think we are supposed to just use the strobes for the assignments. That is what he gave us some sample set-ups for.

Thanks JonK for the clarification... (boy, I cant spell...)
Zoe08, JonK is right, there are alot of potential errors to be had in the studio whether human or mechanical... you might want to go over it with your instructor and see if he is willing to watch you go threw the set-up to see if everything is being done right. You could also have a fellow student that seems to be doing better help you out abit. When I went threw the schooling I needed alot of help and took it from both teacher and student, you might be surprised at how willing some are to help.
ohh LaFoto, Like the world famous painter (from PBS) Bob Ross always said, its your world make it the way you want it... (or something like that, then he usually mumbled something about happy little clouds...) Anyway Makeup is totaly doable (is that a word?) I just ment it looked like her skin in that photo was dulled down and her eyes brought out... just to ad to the effect. that it might not just be the highkey lighting giving the photo the look.
ok i go.

df3photo said:
... that it might not just be the highkey lighting giving the photo the look.

Well, actually, no. The photos you can see in that assignment thread are off the camera. Later I worked on them and e.g. took the dark corner out of one of them, but these were the unchanged versions. (My daughter is prettily tanned all year round - she inherited this skin tone from her dad).

In my view of high-key, the image can run from blown to properly exposed but very light. If blown, it's usually in a pleasing way and involves some post-processing or at least a high-contrast print.

I think a few of these would work well if you adjusted the contrast. Do you mind if I tried it on a couple?

Go ahead, please try! I really know how to use PS.

and here are a couple more that are not as bright, are these any closer to what they might should look like?

traci_hk5.jpg

and i know this one is not focuses correctly, I am just trying to see if the exposure is better. i find it very hard to focus when the light is not very bright while trying to focus.

shane_hk.jpg

These two are still blown out and probably not to everyone's taste, but since they started that way, you don't have much choice.

couple_hk2-mod.jpg

traci_hk4-mod.jpg

The new one you posted is still light, but not blown, so you have more options. Here I just boosted the contrast with levels and curves.

traci_hk5-mod.jpg

For the last one, I used levels, curves, and sharpened. His cheek is a little blocked up, but it was like that in the original data.

shane_hk-mod.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help! Here are a few from my shoot on Friday. Are these the way high key should look? Please say yes, cuz if not im totally screwed. I still had a problem though, cuz I only have 3 lights and I had 2 in front, 1 background, and I really needed 2 background so on some my background isnt right. Is there anyway to fix the background so it is even? And I am supposed to take a class to learn photoshop next semester. But I think our teacher knows we wont be doing much post processing. And I took 365 pictures on Friday, so I have a lot to go through. I may post more later.

Anyways here they are...

hk_traci.jpg

ben_hk.jpg

justin_hk.jpg

I think you've got it :D these look good zoe! I think they're pretty darn close to what you're trying to achieve.
On my calibrated monitor they are looking a little flat...mebbe just up the contrast ever so slightly.

First one probably, and the last two definitely! And I agree that they could use a little contrast boost. They're a lot better contrast-wise than any you posted earlier though. Good show!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back