PLEASE LOOK at this lens.........????????????

I'd be skeptical because I've never heard of Cosina and this site doesn't list aperture values. I looked on google to find its 3.5-4.6 which is very slow for a wide angle. It just looks like it reeks of cheapness and I'd be willing to bet it has performance to match.

Yeah, I don't want a slow lens. I saw this one and thought wow thats a good price. Thanks for saving my wallet. :)

Cosina is a japanese glass maker known recently by their purchase (some say lease?) of the Voigtlander brand name. They make wonderful lenses for their Bessa rangefinders which also include a line of M-mount (leica) lenses. This includes a wonderful 35mm f1.2 Nokton in M-mount.

As for that specific lens... I have no information. Looks similar to my Tokina 19-35mm "plastic wonder" which performs just fine.

As with most brands (including Canon and Nikon), they all make wonderful and crappy lenses.

Some people just look at numbers... but even some "slower" lenses will perform or out perform "faster" lenses depending on how they are used. Classic example is the Canon 50mm f1 which is well known as a lesser performer than f1.8 and f1.4 versions at the same focal length. You also have to remember that you can handhold a wide angle lens a whole lot easier than a telephoto or standard... hence the wider aperture becomes less important if hand holding in low light is your aim.

Did a little more digging.... people say that the lens is related to vivitar's wide angle... perhaps also my tokina. Who actually makes the glass is not clear but most say that the lens isn't that bad "for the price".

Doing a pbase search for cosina 19 35mm yeilds some decent photos:

http://search.pbase.com/search?q=cosina+19+35mm&b=Search+Photos&c=sp

I say it can't hurt if you are on a budget...

Unless it's a Canon 50mm f/1.8, don't buy a $75 lens. You get what you pay for.

Actually I just bought this one (50mm f1.8). What I was looking for now is something with some zoom on it. I wasn't even looking for a lens on Overstock but then I came across it and thought I would get everyones opinion sinces the price is right.

Without a whole lot of info in the OP (budget? expectations?) how can anyone just come out and say... price is wrong?

If you've got a limited budget and expections set correctly, I don't think there is anything wrong with it...

If you've got a high expectation and high budget, move on to the 16-35mm f2.8L.

I'm not attacking you Matt, I just have been around a lot of photocounterpushers who will always push the more expensive item without any regard to the customer on the other side. Yes.. the 50mm f1.8 is a "cheap" wonderful lens... but isn't one example exception good enough to move past the "price is wrong" assumption.

I've got several high end L lenses to my disposal but a "plastic" wonder for a wide-angle zoom.. It performs wonderfully for its "cheap" price point. Why not get something priced higher? Well.. because I don't shoot enough at those focal lengths.... so in my case.. .its a performer..

I didn't say there aren't any good budget lenses. I personally do not ever think it's a good investment to buy such a cheap lens as that one linked to however. Regardless of your budget. Budgets can change with a little saving, and there are far better lenses that aren't super expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back