PLEASE PLEASE I have a FLASH question!

oldnavy170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I needed a flash for my camera but I also wanted my new lens (Canon EF 50mm F1.8) really bad. Well since I wanted my lens I couldn't afford both the lens and the flash. I was going to buy the Sunpak 440 flash for $90. I ended up going with a cheaper lens but the problem is I ordered it even though I couldn't find any reviews on it. I don't use a flash often but needed it for outdoor shady areas. Please check out my CHEAP flash and tell me if going cheap will hurt my camera.

I will someday (6month or more) buy a better flash but I just needed something NOW.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NNB346/104-3124267-6438315[/ame]

WELL AT LEAST I AM GETTING MY NEW LENS!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!​

I am guessing that the main thing you are concerned with is if the amount of voltage that is passing through it will fry your camera or not? I don't think that is going to be a major concern given that it is supposed to be compatible w/ a canon dslr and it's new, not an antique that was wired to produce a lot more voltage which could be hazardous.

I also don't think that you are going to get much benefit from it. Judging from the guide numbers, it only has about 2x the power from the built in flash of a canon XTi. It will be a little more useful since you can swivel and adjust the head, but pretty weak power wise. You get what you pay for as you know.

From the looks of it, it should be OK and certainly shouldn't hurt your camera.

It is only twice as powerful as the built-in flash...but being up on the hot shoe and being able to tilt & swivel will make it much better than the built-in flash.

Thank you for the help. I am so protective of my camera I hate to buy anything without the Canon name on it. I am just glad to hear that it won't burn up my camera.

I know what I bought is cheap but in a few months or so I will order a better flash. This should at least get me through for now.

Thanks for the comments!

Thank you for the help. I am so protective of my camera I hate to buy anything without the Canon name on it. I am just glad to hear that it won't burn up my camera.

I know what I bought is cheap but in a few months or so I will order a better flash. This should at least get me through for now.

Thanks for the comments!
gallery_456.jpg

If you are seriously concerned, you can get something called a voltage isolator or circuit isolator. It fits between your hotshoe and the flash unit. Nice device, but will probably cost as much as the flash you are looking at.

Speaking of which, if you are going to be shooting outside in the shade/etc... I seriously doubt the GN of 24 will be of much help to you. The only real benefit you gain by going with that flash is that your light source will be physically higher than your normal pop-up flash by a few inches, which reduces red-eye and gives somewhat more flattering illumination in portraiture.

The Opteka and the Speedlite for around 3-6 times the price of the one you are looking at will serve you better and have a much larger range of power... but it does represent more money to be spent. :/

Hmm... could you stretch to a Sigma EF500 DG ST at $150? Fairly powerful, has bounce and swivel, and seems to be significantly cheaper than all but the most basic Canon flash.

Or for something more basic but nearer the price you were originally looking at ($90), the Vivitar 285HV is a classic.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back