PLEASE READ AND REPLY--Canon AE-1 Program

n.schwartz98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an old can ae1 that was my dad's grad gift, I'm a beginner photographer and have taken a few pics with it but I'm not exactly sure what the best settings are for it, if possible can someone shoot me like a quick crash course on film photography, btw it's a 35 mm if it means anything:)

There is no such thing as a 'best' setting. Every situation is different, which demands different settings.

Think about it.... if there really was one best setting, that would be the only one the camera is capable of.

Get a copy of Bryan Petersons' Understanding Exposure.

ISO 400 color negative film, to make color prints. Set the ASA dial on the camera to 250, NOT 400, so as to expose generously. Set shutter to 1/250 second outdoors in the spring, summer, and fall.. You will get good photos. If you are at the beach,or on sunny.light sand or snow, set the shutter to 1/500 during the day. Let the camera pick the f/stop. The camera is OLD now; the foam light seals in it might have disintegrated, and the camera very well might no longer be light-tight, until a new foam light seal kit is glued in.

Thanks derrel, it took pretty good pictures on 400 ASA but it was also a very cloudy day, about 5 pics were overexposed so they didn't get developed, I thought it's just because I'm terrible at loading film

I also tried a couple shots on 800 ASA and didn't really notice a difference

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411162321.380803.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back