Please recommend a book about lighting technics

Steph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a book to learn the basics of lighting. I am NOT new to photography (I perfectly understand ISO, shutter speed, aperture and exposure for ambient light) but I am a bit clueless when it comes to flash photography and more advanced lighting technics. I don't want a general book about photography with a few chapters about lighting. I want a more specific book that covers the following:

- Basics about flash photography (the technical side)
- Use of a single Speedlight (on and off camera)
- Use of several Speedlights
- Use of more advanced technics (strobes, continuous lighting...)

Ideally, the book will be easy to read with a lot of pictures (which don't like they were taken in the 70s or 80s) and possibly contain some kind of exercises/assignments to get some practice.

I had a look through 'Light-Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting' but it looks like it is a bit hard to read. If I cannot find something more accessible I'll buy it. Also, do not recommend 'Lighting for Dummies' (if such a thing exists); I hate these books.

Any online resources would be also useful (I am already aware of the Strobist blog and found it interesting) but I would prefer a book.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lighting-Guide-Portrait-Photographers/dp/1584281251/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223669247&sr=8-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Photography-Secrets-Posing-Lighting/dp/157990548X/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223669358&sr=8-30[/ame]

These are the only 2 I have currently.

Matt just posted a link to this online demo. Pretty cool for folks new to lighting:
http://www.lowel.com/edu/foundations_of_lighting.html

Last edited:
Speaking of Lowel, Ross Lowell's* own book Matters of Light and Depth is a good general book on lighting, albeit slanted to motion picture lighting. John Alton's classic Painting With Light is in the same category - ie a good book about lighting, but mainly about mopic lighting. Apart from the equipment used (continuous v flash) there's a lot that's common, of course.

*His name is Lowell, his company is called Lowel.

Best,
Helen

Best book for lighting is Light Science and Magic and if you combine reading that with going over lighting 101 and lighting 102 on Strobist.com you should have everything you can learn from reading.

I second Light, Science and Magic. It is truly an exceptional book.

I second Light, Science and Magic. It is truly an exceptional book.

I third it. By far the most useful, instructive book on photographic lighting I've ever read, and I've read more than a few. Considered the bible over at Strobist.com

Thank you all for your replies. I had a flick through 'Light, science and magic' and found it a bit 'dry' and was looking for something easier to read. According to your comments it looks like a very good book, so I will order it, make an effort to get stuck in it and read it properly. Once this is done and I have read everything on the Strobist and other links you provided, you may expect more specific questions about lighting.:wink: Thanks again for your help.

Thank you all for your replies. I had a flick through 'Light, science and magic' and found it a bit 'dry' and was looking for something easier to read. According to your comments it looks like a very good book, so I will order it, make an effort to get stuck in it and read it properly. Once this is done and I have read everything on the Strobist and other links you provided, you may expect more specific questions about lighting.:wink: Thanks again for your help.

It is, but it also describes lighting theory really well. The Strobist link is probably one of the best beginner sites I've come across though. David Hobby, who runs the blog, is a real down to Earth guy and he puts everything out there so it's easy to understand.

Without reading a book like Light, Science and Magic you won’t have a real understanding of light properties and you will just end up another one of the many shmucks who just plop lights up and can't really explain why. We have plenty of them who are actually working photographers in my city some have 10+ years experience and when they meet me they get all flustered when I tell them I first picked up a camera less than 3 years ago. I attribute everything I know to learning the technical and scientific side of photography early on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back