Please recommend a computer for photo editing

wow people, one thing for sure Steve Jobs is a better marketer than bill gates or microsoft, if 20 years later people still think Macs out perform pc's. Windows 7 premiered with a slight fever but the ipad is already back ordered into the thousands. Just an oberservation for what its worth. Actually I thought the thread was dying so I thought I'd liven it up again. lol

BACK TO THE TOPIC.....

Funny guy. You say that but immediately go back off topic.

OP. Make sure that at what ever cost, when building your PC, DO NOT BUY VISTA! Get Windows 7 or Windows XP. I still use XP SP2/3 (not quite sure which one I'm on) today and I've only ever had 1 problem. XP was the last great OS from Microsoft, and 7 is the latest greatest OS.

Vista was basically a for sale beta version of Windows 7 and as you know it was riddled with problems. Also, Adobe CS5 is made to run on 7 if you plan on upgrading, CS4 wont run on 7 with out a hassle. Due to the fact that CS4 was built to run on XP/Vista (it runs way better on XP though).

As for the Mac vs PC debate.

Mac's are a waste of money IMO. They give you little advantage out the box over a PC for a good $600 dollars more. Also given the fact that if you really wanted to, you could duel boot OS X on a PC and run the few programs that work better on a mac than a PC with out spending the 1300 bucks for a mac book..... BUT truthfully, the only reason I'd ever buy, or recommend a Mac to someone, is for audio recording or production... Pro Tools is GOD on a mac. All of my DJ friends, (DJ Dust, DJ Ethical, DJ Alphatrion, DJ Klever) all Atlanta Local's but are well know around the world, use macs, and they do some damn good mixing. So I leave my views of mac at home when I'm around them.

I work in a local music venue as well, and the quality of sound we put out due to the mac hooked into the sound board astounds me.

So the only thing a mac has over a PC is Music compression and recording software and the like.

But thats just how I see it.

From some one that's an IT professional and who's career is nothing but dealing with specs and tech, you should do a bit more research then trying to turn you biased opinion into fact.

I'm not an IT guy........ WTF? Where did you even get that statement?

wow people, one thing for sure Steve Jobs is a better marketer than bill gates or microsoft, if 20 years later people still think Macs out perform pc's. Windows 7 premiered with a slight fever but the ipad is already back ordered into the thousands. Just an oberservation for what its worth. Actually I thought the thread was dying so I thought I'd liven it up again. lol

Steve capitalized on Microsoft's mis-steps.... (Mr Remote's "DO NOT BUY VISTA" statement is an example)

Steve also did another thing differently than Microsoft. He kept Apple's innovations focused not only on software but (more importantly) hardware. Bad products by third party vendors running Microsoft Windows is indirectly a reflection to Microsoft's image.

Some might see the proprietary hardware a PITA (it can be at times) but this means things work to Steve's standards not to the standards of third party vendors.

BACK TO THE TOPIC.....

OP. Make sure that at what ever cost, when building your PC, DO NOT BUY VISTA! Get Windows 7 or Windows XP. I still use XP SP2/3 (not quite sure which one I'm on) today and I've only ever had 1 problem. XP was the last great OS from Microsoft, and 7 is the latest greatest OS.

Vista was basically a for sale beta version of Windows 7 and as you know it was riddled with problems. Also, Adobe CS5 is made to run on 7 if you plan on upgrading, CS4 wont run on 7 with out a hassle. Due to the fact that CS4 was built to run on XP/Vista (it runs way better on XP though).

As for the Mac vs PC debate.

Mac's are a waste of money IMO. They give you little advantage out the box over a PC for a good $600 dollars more. Also given the fact that if you really wanted to, you could duel boot OS X on a PC and run the few programs that work better on a mac than a PC with out spending the 1300 bucks for a mac book..... BUT truthfully, the only reason I'd ever buy, or recommend a Mac to someone, is for audio recording or production... Pro Tools is GOD on a mac. All of my DJ friends, (DJ Dust, DJ Ethical, DJ Alphatrion, DJ Klever) all Atlanta Local's but are well know around the world, use macs, and they do some damn good mixing. So I leave my views of mac at home when I'm around them.

I work in a local music venue as well, and the quality of sound we put out due to the mac hooked into the sound board astounds me.

So the only thing a mac has over a PC is Music compression and recording software and the like.

But thats just how I see it.

From some one that's an IT professional and who's career is nothing but dealing with specs and tech, you should do a bit more research then trying to turn you biased opinion into fact.

I never said you were.

I never said you were.

OHH sorry, it was late, I read "From" as "For"... but I do read a lot of specs, I just helped my friend build 2 hella bad ass PC's, one for his job as a video editor, one for his home use. They ran him $1200 dollars each, and can out preform any machine I've ever touched.

I never said you were.

OHH sorry, it was late, I read "From" as "For"... but I do read a lot of specs, I just helped my friend build 2 hella bad ass PC's, one for his job as a video editor, one for his home use. They ran him $1200 dollars each, and can out preform any machine I've ever touched.

I've built a ton of PC's over the past so many years. I still use a MBP that I've paid less for than a comparable PC for Photo Shop, Final Cut, and aperture.

I'm in the Mac camp, too.

For my photography day job I currently use a nearly 3 year old 27" iMac with 3.1GHz Intel Core i5 and 1024MB Radeon HD. It is starting to slow down a bit now it's getting full, but in general it works pretty well and the screen colour is great.

At home I use a Macbook Pro - (can't remember the specs off the top of my head) with Retina display and every time I use it, I feel sad about going back to my work iMac! The Retina display is ridiculously clear and the colours are wonderful.

If I could afford it, I would have the 27" iMac with Retina display.

Steve capitalized on Microsoft's mis-steps.... (Mr Remote's "DO NOT BUY VISTA" statement is an example)

Steve also did another thing differently than Microsoft. He kept Apple's innovations focused not only on software but (more importantly) hardware. Bad products by third party vendors running Microsoft Windows is indirectly a reflection to Microsoft's image.

Some might see the proprietary hardware a PITA (it can be at times) but this means things work to Steve's standards not to the standards of third party vendors.
I know this is an old thread but Apple does not make 1 stick of hardware in their machines. All your buying is their OS and software. Win7 and software now a day makes Apple overpriced crap

Uh oh. Zombie thread coming back to life.

I know this is an old thread but Apple does not make 1 stick of hardware in their machines. All your buying is their OS and software. Win7 and software now a day makes Apple overpriced crap

No. Price a notebook with the same specs. It'll be the same if not more. If you go more bare bones, you can get more performance for the dollar, but you lose out on other things.

Not to mention at my job we just got in 7 Dell AIO computers to install for a client and there was a visible gap on one side of the bezel between the screen but not the other. That's on all of them. They're just not of the same quality. I spent several hours the other day trying to get all the drivers for an emachine laptop because I had no idea what was in it. If it were an Apple notebook, that would have been a non-issue and saved me a good chunk of time.

Use what works for you.

I have an imac 27" with a 3.5ghz i7 4gb Radeon 32 gb ram and an SSD
It works fine for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. Price a notebook with the same specs. It'll be the same if not more. If you go more bare bones, you can get more performance for the dollar, but you lose out on other things.

Not to mention at my job we just got in 7 Dell AIO computers to install for a client and there was a visible gap on one side of the bezel between the screen but not the other. That's on all of them. They're just not of the same quality. I spent several hours the other day trying to get all the drivers for an emachine laptop because I had no idea what was in it. If it were an Apple notebook, that would have been a non-issue and saved me a good chunk of time.

Use what works for you.
Have no idea what your talking about, win7 installs all drivers. Laptops have drivers pre installed on them

For lightroom you also need a fast HD or SSD.
Don't get me wrong but a SSD will be faster. Platter drives are not in the same league but most performance when rendering photos comes from a good processor with high L3 cache

Most reactions

New Topics

Back