Please recommend lens for Canon 5D

nizaso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am upgrading to Canon 5D. Want L-lens but not sure if kit lens is best (24-105/4L IS USM). What about 24-70/2.8L USM? Or is it too heavy for a woman and for travelling? I have Canon 70-300mm USM and 100/2.8 Macro lenses already. Thx

I am upgrading to Canon 5D. Want L-lens but not sure if kit lens is best (24-105/4L IS USM). What about 24-70/2.8L USM? Or is it too heavy for a woman and for travelling? I have Canon 70-300mm USM and 100/2.8 Macro lenses already. Thx

The 24-105L is a good lens for its price and its weight. The extra 35mm plus the IS can be an advantage over the 24-70L when shooting wildlife and not being prepared for it. I was quite happy to be able to go for some first shots of an animals with my 24-105L at 105mm when there was no time to screw the telephoto onto my camera in time...

On full frame f/4 is not too bad to get a shallow DOF, I am quite happy with it in that respect. Of course f/2.8 gives you a bit shallower DOF and an extra stop for low-light situations. Also overall image quality is slightly better on the 24-70L. If the latter is too heavy, well, it depends on you ;)

You might be not too happy with your 70-300, since the 5D is not very forgiving. I went for the 300 f/4 L IS instead for wildlife, an older lens, but sharper tht the zoom!

The 50mm f/1.4 is quite a nice lens on the 5D ... just in case you need some really wide aperture :)

Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like good advice from Alex. The 24-105 is a great lens for all around type shooting but if you need fast shutter speeds in lower light, then the 24-70 F2.8 might be a better choice.

Most reactions

Back