Please review images

Irukandji24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and new to photography as well. But I would love for you guys to critique my work. I've only started about three months ago. Bought an entry nikon DSLR and a 50mm f1.8g prime lens.

Please tell me what I can do better and/or any feedback . So far, I am leaning towards portrait photography. Here are some sample of my shots:
Angie.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner and still learning all the lingo and etc. so please keep it as simple as possible :)

So far my only teacher are YouTube videos lol

Thanks!

hello and welcome to the forum.

That 50mm f/1.8 is a really good lens to start and learn on. As for critique, here we go.

1) Not fond of the square crop on it. On the composition, be careful not to cut off fingers as you have done. This image seems to be a little soft (Not tack sharp) but the exposure looks pretty good.

2) Again, the composition isn't the best and the background has some distractions. Consider cropping this tightly in portrait mode. She has a great smile.

3) Best of the set and is a really good photo. Nicely done.

4) She is a sweet subject but I would just consider this a snapshot.

General suggestions: Spend some time studying composition and rule of thirds. Practice shooting in portrait orientation with your camera. In addition to studying composition, watch videos on lighting. It doesn't matter if is flash, constant or natural lighting. Learning how to use whatever light you have will make a big difference in your photographs.

hello and welcome to the forum.

That 50mm f/1.8 is a really good lens to start and learn on. As for critique, here we go.

1) Not fond of the square crop on it. On the composition, be careful not to cut off fingers as you have done. This image seems to be a little soft (Not tack sharp) but the exposure looks pretty good.

2) Again, the composition isn't the best and the background has some distractions. Consider cropping this tightly in portrait mode. She has a great smile.

3) Best of the set and is a really good photo. Nicely done.

4) She is a sweet subject but I would just consider this a snapshot.

General suggestions: Spend some time studying composition and rule of thirds. Practice shooting in portrait orientation with your camera. In addition to studying composition, watch videos on lighting. It doesn't matter if is flash, constant or natural lighting. Learning how to use whatever light you have will make a big difference in your photographs.

Thanks for the constructive criticism! Unfortunately, for the first picture below is the original copy. I didn't even notice the cutting off the fingers. It sure would look a whole lot better if it was included! Thanks for pointing that out.
DSC_0475.JPG

Thanks for the compliment as well :) Do you recommend any YouTube videos for the rule of thirds and composition? I will try to play with the lighting & portrait orientation, so far I had been focusing shooting RAW since the get-go as it seems it is the best way. Thanks so much again!

I agree that RAW is the way to go.

There are plenty of people on youtube to watch. Some of the ones that I watch video's from are Jason Lanier, Joe Brady, Tony Corbell, Joe Edelman, The Slanted Lens, Mike Brown, Gavin Hoey, F.J. Westcott has a channel.

You mentioned portraits but you took candids. I think portraiture requires a metric-ton more precision. But the upside is you can better-control what you have to work with.

Generally speaking - The first photo is adorable; would consider masking out some of the bg, and cropping to put her right-of-center. Check the WB. the second pic has a lot of space above her head. Check the WB.

You mentioned portraits but you took candids. I think portraiture requires a metric-ton more precision. But the upside is you can better-control what you have to work with.

Generally speaking - The first photo is adorable; would consider masking out some of the bg, and cropping to put her right-of-center. Check the WB. the second pic has a lot of space above her head. Check the WB.

Here I had thought that taking pictures of people is considered "portrait." I had looked it up and you are right! Learned something new every day :) But I guess I am more incline to do candid shots, as I like to capture people as when they are acting themselves and not posing for the camera.

Yes! I had actually just recently learn to change the WB... especially before taking the photo instead of doing it post process. I would keep the other comments in mind! Seems like I need to work on composition, rules of thirds and what not.

Thank you so much for your input!

Keep in mind Candids are probably harder to do because candids do not often have time and circumstance on the side of the photog. Candids are snapped as life happens and are hard to do well. It's one reason I love them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back