Please, straight answer, I am ready :P

MrsB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK everyone, I have been lurking for a while and the more I read the more confused I get......:(
I want to buy an entry level camera to take GOOD pics and be able to later on use lens as well. Want to take all kinds of pictures, including macro, blurred background, pets, children, landscape, etc etc....

Low budget though. No more than $500ish. :scratch:
Most likely will by lens laaaater....after I learned how to use the camera, etc.

I own a Canon Power shot SD600 and it has been great, but, I am now ready to put more time into good photography something I always appreciate very much, but know very little.....so, please, bare with me here, I am ready to learn. I did take some classes years ago in college and loved it...so, I do know some basics, but am not so familiar with terminology, etc.

I want a GOOD camera, no so pricey, that I can take great pics, with flash, in low light.... I would "like" to stay with the Canon brand, but not necessarily.

What would YOU get???

TIA :)

its been said many times in here, the camera doesnt make a good photo, the photographer does... its all in the learning...

the nikon d40 is a great camera for beginners.. however, it lacks a focus motor, which means if you want auto focus, you will have to make sure tthe lens' you buy, have focus motors built in...

its been said many times in here, the camera doesnt make a good photo, the photographer does... its all in the learning...

You're absolutely correct, I believe on that as well...
I am sure that a decent camera...a smart buy....wouldn't help :mrgreen:

Thanks for your opinion!!! It is one of my options for sure.

i also have a d50, which is a bit more advanced than the d40... it has a built in focus motor (a HUGE plus) and i found it at a pawn shop for 200 bucks...

There is so much out there, you really need to do some looking around and most importantly find out what lenses you want, and HOW THE CAMERA FEELS IN YOUR HAND.

The not-too-terribly-old Canon Rebel Xt/Xti's should be able to be found for that price, the D40, you could probably find a Canon 30D, Olympus has offerings for well below that price (including a weatherproof five megapixel body that can be had for as low as $250 used and E-510s which are great 10mp cameras can be had for as low as 300), Pentax has good cameras in the range.

Tks so far guys.
As far as how the camera feel in my hands, I've looked in person at the Canon XS I believe and a few different Nikon's. All felt ok, I am not too picky about that.

Any entry level nikon or cannon, then almost all the lenses will work when you upgrade.

Thanks guys...
I think, so far, I am leaning more towards the Canon XS.
Anything in particular that I should know about this camera.....I am, any specific plus (or not) that you would say I should be aware of??

I would only tell you to see if the differences between the Xs and the Xt/Xti line are really worth the money to you -- not trying to particularly sway your opinion but if you like Canon, the XT line is perfectly capable and you can spend the difference on a quality f/2.8 18-50 right out of the box.

So, in your opinion I should go with the XTi and invest in other lenses separately? I am sorry if I am not making myself clear on my questions ( a bit of language barrier going on :p )

man definately go with canon :D haha no seriously....just to toss my 2 cents in check out a used camera....prolly find a good deal that way....and may even get a lens out of the deal....plus save some money to start your lens fund...i would say first lens you should pick up is the 50mm 1.8 ii for the money this lens is awesome....and only like 80 bucks online

I think you should look at both -- maybe the XS is better for you, maybe the XTi is better for you.

But getting the XTi will let you buy a better lens before the XS will.

Most likely I will 'play' around with the camera itself for a while before I purchase a better/different lens.

SO, from what I read around, first camera, then decent 'beginner' lens.....

Hello again,
So, I have decided to give a try and purchase the Canon XS, now,
I'd appreciate recommendation as far as lens (fiance wants ideas for Xmas/Anniversary gift).

I am ok with something 'simple' for now, since I understand that the lens that comes with the camera is already 'decent' for a beginner like me....

- What lens do you recommend?
- Why? What kind of effect will I get - in time of course?

Thank you again everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back