Please, straight answer, I am ready :P

So, I have decided to give a try and purchase the Canon XS, now,
I'd appreciate recommendation as far as lens (fiance wants ideas for Xmas/Anniversary gift).

Skip the new lens for now, and get a flash, like the Canon 430EX. Then after shooting a while you will have a better idea what would be useful for you in a lens: wide angle, telephoto, macro, etc....

Spend time reading the threads about the same thing you are asking...what camera to get, what lens to get, what accessories to get, etc..

There is lots of information posted up there and it all boils down to what you can afford.

Hello again,
So, I have decided to give a try and purchase the Canon XS, now,
I'd appreciate recommendation as far as lens (fiance wants ideas for Xmas/Anniversary gift).

I am ok with something 'simple' for now, since I understand that the lens that comes with the camera is already 'decent' for a beginner like me....

- What lens do you recommend?
- Why? What kind of effect will I get - in time of course?

Thank you again everyone!

Yes, if money is a factor. It's okay to go with the XS. After all, it is a DSLR with capability to record good image. And that is what the manufacturer make this camera for. Of course, there are better cameras out there that cost more, but at the end, they are all a box that record images. Learn to use what come with the camera and have fun with it. Do not worry about the lens for now. The key part is knowing the camera and how to take pictures. Once you spend more time on TRYING to take good pictures, you will know what lens to buy in the future. BTW. it is true that the 50mm F/1.8 is a good lens to buy since it is the best bang for the bucks on Canon lens line up.

The kit lens that came with the Canon EOS XS is fine to use and learn. It can create good images. The limitations is only your imagination.

Thank you everyone!

Dao: what you said is pretty much what I wanted to hear, I guess.
If the camera itself is good and I put time and effort I think there's no limit for imagination :)

I'm very excited about this and sincerely apprecita all your input so far.

I am ok with something 'simple' for now, since I understand that the lens that comes with the camera is already 'decent' for a beginner like me....

- What lens do you recommend?
- Why? What kind of effect will I get - in time of course?

Thank you again everyone!

What do you plan on shooting?

Nothing specific...
People, pets, nature, abstract.......

I think that you should save up, get an middle level with a decent lens. If you wait and learn, like you have, you will feel far to limited with a Rebel. An excellent lens with a good prosumer camera will help you learn, expand, and won't force you to upgrade in 6 months.

100th post.

AlexColeman: what would you recommend?

My own experinces are that a rebel with its kit lens is a good starting point. Honestly though as you go up in prices and range the DSLRs don't really differ that much on difficulty of use - the only different is that the rebel cameras do still have some auto shooting modes (macro, landscape, portrate, macro) but give it a month or two and chances are that you won't be using any of those modes.
What does change from model to model is the quality of camera itself - its ability to take a shot along with things like weathersealing, auto focus speed and accuracy and other things as well - the actual functionality of the cameras remains similar.

As for what to start with - a rebel is still a very fine camera body to start off with - and with SLRs the money wants to be in the lenses not the bodies. Top range lenses even on a rebel can (with the right skills of course ;)) give you very good results and you will notice a far bigger quality improvement with using better glass than you will with a better body -- the body just records the light, the lens controls the light and affects its overall quality reaching the body.
Start off with the body and a kit lens and then work from there. Identify key areas of your interest and then aim to get kit (lenses) to give you improved performance in those areas. Also don't fear the pricetag of lenses - they can be as much if not far more than the body that you pay for - but you are buying real quality that will last a long time - and remember that top range lenses will follow you through to the next camera and continue to perform well.

My recommendation would be a D200. They just went on sale for $500, and its a hell of a camera.

If that's a little too much for you, I would suggest the D70S, which can be had with kit lens (a kick ass kit lens I might add) for around $400. That leaves you $100 to get a nifty fifty or something.

Get a D50. You can find them used for around 500 bucks and this will most always include a lens and perhaps a memory card. 18-55MM is fine as a starting lens, and has pretty good optical quality.

My recommendation would be a D200. They just went on sale for $500, and its a hell of a camera.

If that's a little too much for you, I would suggest the D70S, which can be had with kit lens (a kick ass kit lens I might add) for around $400. That leaves you $100 to get a nifty fifty or something.
where are they 500?

Most reactions

Back