Please Tell Me The Pros And Cons

mrdecoy1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I just joined, have been thinking more and more about becoming a semi-professional photographer. I've always really admired good photography and would like to maybe get into it, and hope to take some jobs to pay for equipment, a little extra income would sure be nice too. Shooting maybe a wedding, engagement, dogs, bands etc. The only thing I know about it is to get a DSLR camera at a real camera store and expect to pay 12-1500.00 and a software program. Any help or guidance words of encouragement or even discouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.

Let me take you at your word and assume you aren't a troll.

You haven't yet learned to take photos, don't have a camera and you expect that people will want to pay you money to take pictures for them?
Photography is a skill and an art and it takes a great deal of effort and study to get just decent at it, let alone good enough to make money at it.
Would you think of stopping at a forum centered around playing the piano and saying:

I just joined, have been thinking more and more about becoming a semi-professional pianist.
I've always really admired good piano playing and would like to maybe get into it, and hope to take some jobs to pay for equipment, a little extra income would sure be nice too. Shooting maybe a wedding, engagement, bands etc.
The only thing I know about it is to get a piano at a real music store and expect to pay 12-1500.00 for the piano and some music. Any help or guidance words of encouragement or even discouragement would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Are you in the USA?

Most cites and states require a business be registered with them, even a part-time business.
Most state require a business, even a part-time business, to have business liability insurance, and to collect, and forward to the state, sales and use taxes.

To make money, business running skills - accounting (so you can if you are, or aren't, actually making any money), marketing, promotion - are more important then having photography skills.
Plus, a well researched and written business plan is something most successful full and part-time businesses have.

For shooting weddings & engagements you'll need at least 2 lenses. Many wedding photographers use 2 cameras so each of the lenses is already mounted on a camera body and ready for use.
The 2 lenses most commonly used are a 24-70 mm f/2.8 zoom lens and a 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom lens.
You will need about $1500 just for the 2 lenses, if you buy used 3rd party makes of the 2.
A good used 70-200 mm zoom is often about $1500 all by itself.

Figure you'll need at least 1 hot shoe flash unit and the knowing how to use it effectively both on and off the camera.
On-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Photographers
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere

And here are some of the digital photography fundamentals you will need to be very familiar with:
Digital Photography Tutorials

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,

Thanks for your replies and no I'm not trolling. How boring it would be to intentionally troll a photography forum, why? well not me. I will follow those links posted and anything else worth considering.

Fully agree with the business/legal aspect. Don't go to jail for it.

Just because you can take a picture doesn't mean you should charge money for it. I'll go into the types of photography you have listed first.

Wedding photography..............NO!
Without years of experience you will not be able to do a competent job. This is a very difficult form of photography. On top of the technical aspects this is a zero mistakes type of job. There are no retakes. Don't be the person that ruins the memory of what should have been a great day for two people.

Bands.
If you mean concert photography, sure why not. Go try. It is another difficult form of photography but you may get a local band that will let you shoot a gig for them. Just don't expect them to pay. The musicians that are willing to let an unknown shoot for them are the same ones that are to cheap to pay for it so expect to use it as a learning experience.

Dogs
Sure you could try. Start out with family and friends. Again don't expect to get paid. use it as a learning experience and to build a portfolio.

Now with the last two there is a way to make money but only after you've managed to at least learn the basics of how to properly shoot those type of photos.
The first one to do properly will require a lot more commitment to become a reality. It can be done but it will be a longer road.

In short. You're not making a dime until you get some time behind the lens.

Most reactions

Back