TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ir6.jpg

ir8.jpg

ir4.jpg

ir5.jpg

The next two arn't black and white, they are faux colored IR... but if I could get some critique on them as well it would be appreciated.

faux4.jpg

faux1.jpg

I wanted this one to look like an old film picture...

Thanks. All were shot with my Sony DSC-P71. I removed the filter in front of the CCD and replaced it with a hand made piece of 11.83mm x 11.18mm x 2.54mm piece of clear plastic (from a plastic hummingbird feeder). All shots I handheld a Hoya R72 filter infront of the lens. Just tonight I removed the custom filter and cut the Hoya R72 to fit in the camera, should have some pictures up tomorrow or so to see how it works.

21 views and nobody? Must not be very good then... :er:

Patience, xathor... Sometimes I look a few times before posting - I need to digest what I've seen. ;)

The one I like is #4, although my preference is less grain in the images. I like the "in your face" quality of this photo caused by the angle you used. The cloud is tremendously bright, though and I'm torn on whether or not I would try a crop on that. I somewhat feel you would lose the intentional uncomfortableness of the shot if you lose the sky.

I'm also torn on the colored IRs. #6 is interesting, but the cone and the cars (for me) detract from the shot. #5 is pretty cool, but I would never be able to tell it's IR or faux colored. Show me more foliage - that's stuff is awesome!

One last thing - if you number your photos in your post, it makes it easier to talk about them. Thanks for sharing - IR photos are sooo interesting and you've inspired me to try some myself!

The first picture is actually a bit of HDR. It was the only way I could get the building in the foreground to actually be part of the picture instead of a big black blob.

For the faux-IR stuff, most people like this kind of stuff...

DSC00324.jpg

...but thats not for the black & white forum.

Xathor the last one is a great shot. I would've excluded the house to the left of the shot. Doesn't really apply to the piece I think.

Xathor the last one is a great shot. I would've excluded the house to the left of the shot. Doesn't really apply to the piece I think.

I just grabbed a random picture and whipped it up. A lot of people like the faux-IR but I like to stick with the black & white.

More with the Sony DSC-P71

ir3.jpg

ir7.jpg

Some of my IR film stuff... Maxxum 7000 and some Kodak HIE

003_6.jpg

005_8.jpg

These I took with the Nikon Coolpix 5700... Takes a long exposure to make a good IR picture with this camera.

ir11.jpg

ir12.jpg

I like the horse one - well framed and the IR is awesome. It's maybe a bit bright, but I think it works for this shot.

I also like the last water one but I think I get lost in all the trees. Maybe more contrast or shooting that in a lower light would give it an additional wow factor? At any rate, the IR with the soft water makes for a great capture. I definitely like the IR in black/white...

I like the horse one - well framed and the IR is awesome. It's maybe a bit bright, but I think it works for this shot.

I also like the last water one but I think I get lost in all the trees. Maybe more contrast or shooting that in a lower light would give it an additional wow factor? At any rate, the IR with the soft water makes for a great capture. I definitely like the IR in black/white...

ir2.jpg

Thats actually one of the Anheuser-Busch Clydesdale's...

When I am doing IR... as far as framing or metering or any of the actual photography dirty work. I don't do that, I just point the camera at what I want to take a picture at... snap 2 or 3 photos (I don't have a tripod so I sometimes worry about blur) and work with what I have in CS4 when I get back home. The only actual control I have over my Sony DSC-P71 is the EV which I can control in +-0.3 steps to a max of -2.0 to +2.0. I usually leave at +1.0... I guess I may be better at photoshop than I am at taking pictures.

I guess I may be better at photoshop than I am at taking pictures.

lol... It's a great tool and you'll find people in both camps. I want to spend more time behind the lens as I sit at a computer all day, so I like to work on getting as many things right in the camera as possible. Not that I still don't end up in Lightroom or Photoshop... :lol:

Most reactions

Back