Pocket Wizard Help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bazooka, Aug 21, 2010.

1. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm ready to get into the strobist side of things and have ordered a basic lighting kit. I'm looking at radios now and know that the pocket wizard Plus 2 is popular, but if I've only got one on camera and one on my OCF, why would I not get 1 Plus 2 for the camera and 1 Plus for the OCF to save money? I wouldn't need the OCF PW to re-transmit anything, right? Or is there some other reason the Plus 2 is better to have on the OCF?

Thanks!

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not so much a matter of retransmission, but simply that any Plus II can act as either transmitter or receiver (but not simultaneously, I think), while the Plus was available as separate transmitter and receiver units. As long as the frequencies match (ie they are intended for use in the same country) you can use a Plus II on the camera and a Plus Receiver on the OCF.

Best,
    Helen

3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Sorry, I really don't mean to hijack this thread, but Helen, it's great to see you back.
    [​IMG]

4. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    So is there any drawback to using a PW Plus Receiver other than it can only ever be a receiver? There aren't any improvements over timing or anything? If so then that's ok with me... if I understand it correctly, OCF's will only ever need to be on receiver's anyway, right?