Pocketr Wizard, please clarify?

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are using speedlights you need a TT5 for each light. Radiopopper is an alternative to Pocket Wizards but they are not cheap either.

CLS does work well under most conditions. The only issues I have found with CLS are triggering a backlight behind a model or trying to trigger outside in bright sunlight. The radios work 100% of the time and you can get your lights close while you are really far away, like using a 300 for portraits.

Good stuff, thanks guys. The Phottix units are a hell of a lot cheaper than the PWs and receivers can be purchased individually. Cactus units are probably the direction I will go but are apparently on backorder.

I have a FlexMini and 2 TT5's that I use on my SB-600's. I got them in a bundle deal which is why I got it. I got tired of the unrealiability of triggering with my pop-up. I have had no problems with mis-fires and have been 100ft from the flash and it worked perfectly. The batteries for the Mini can be difficult to find so I ordered a 10 pack with my purchase. The TT5's use AA. Just follow the first time instructions and check for updated firmware and you're good to go. I get the impression Pocket Wizard learned a lot from their Canon version and the Nikon version seems to be better reviewed from what I've read.

boy am I glad I just read this thread. I was about to drop over $400 for the FlexMini/TT5 setup with PW. Looks like the Strato's will do what I'm looking for :)

I love my pocket wizards! Never had a failure with them! I use them with my SU-800 for flash power control, and they rock!

The TTL works very well too... great to have if you are shooting fast moving subjects.

I love my pocket wizards! Never had a failure with them! I use them with my SU-800 for flash power control, and they rock!

The TTL works very well too... great to have if you are shooting fast moving subjects.

+1, I love my pocket wizards too.

2nd best was not an option for me, and the CLS was too unreliable at any distance or in bright light.

has anyone here used the AC3 attachment that PW makes? If so, How does it compare to using the SU-800 for flash controls?

The PWs are ~$200ea. for transceivers but why is it necessary to have each unit a tranceiver when you only need a single transmitter and a number of receivers? Isn't that an unnecessary expense built into the units? Can receivers be purchased separately?

The PWs are ~$200ea. for transceivers but why is it necessary to have each unit a tranceiver when you only need a single transmitter and a number of receivers? Isn't that an unnecessary expense built into the units? Can receivers be purchased separately?

One can go TX only.

I use the TT1 "transmitter only" on the camera, not for TTL but because its tiny and cheaper.

It's supposed to offer you more flexibility. If you are using a transmitter and multiple reciever set up, if your transmitter dies or runs out of batteries, you are hosed. With a transiever set up, you can keep going by using one less light. From a reliability and redundancy standpoint, it makes a lot of sense, especially if you are not worried about price.

It's supposed to offer you more flexibility. If you are using a transmitter and multiple reciever set up, if your transmitter dies or runs out of batteries, you are hosed. With a transiever set up, you can keep going by using one less light. From a reliability and redundancy standpoint, it makes a lot of sense, especially if you are not worried about price.

+1, my TX only is an extra for me. Also I here tell people use the TX/RX versions as remote camera triggers, although I haven't had a need to try that with my TT5 or Pocketwizard IIs yet.

Most reactions

Back